US Ambassador Encounters Trouble Entering Thailand

preahko

Haha, this is priceless...check on the comments on ThaiVisa, they're pretty good too:

US Ambassador Meets Airport Glitch

US Ambassador to Thailand Kristie Kenney was stopped at Suvarnabhumi airport on her way back into the country from Singapore, she tweeted yesterday.

Ms Kenney, who was attending the US-Asia Pacific Regional Business Summit, said immigration officers stopped her as they were confused about how many days she was allowed to stay.

"My diplomatic visa confused new immigration officers. Long wait to try to explain why I could not say how many days I would stay in Thailand," she said on her Twitter site.

-- Bangkok Post 2011-03-06

Link

Peace Corps made us get a special passport. Only thing different from an ordinary passport was a big US State Department stamp in the front. That stamp caused more trouble, not in Thailand by elsewhere. I got put through a fancy rigamarole in Frankfurt, as they checked to see who the hell I was. They even looked at a list of known terrorists to see if I was on it. (WTF?) Tokyo also looked bewildered by the stamp, though they eventually pretended not to see it and let me in.

I have no idea why we had to have that stamp, since it didn't seem to have any particular use at all! :(

p.s. When did this gal become US ambassador?

Dancing Amb.

Link

On 10th January 2010, the Thai people will be able to welcome the first female United States Ambassador to Thailand. She is Ambassador Kristie Kenney. She was nominated by President Barack Obama back in July 2010 which was then confirmed by the US Senate in September 2010. Ambassador Kenney was previously the ambassador to The Philippines for about four years. She was reported to have been very saddened when it was time for her to leave.

Archived