US Customs can search and take your laptop without permission

Bangkoktraveler

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

note: meant empathy not apathy in my post.

I write like I think, off the cuff.

Anyway, I know there are a variety of types of people that get stopped.

Having been stopped by cops for years since I was a teenager, I think I know a thing or two about the tactics at the U.S. Customs.

One of the most smart ass answers I ever hard to a cop was by a guy I grew up with and I was home from school. The cops asked if he wouldn't mind if he searched his car. He said no and the cop was surprised and asked the standard 'Are you trying to hide something?' He said 'Tell ya what man, do I get to search your car?'.

The wreckless and seemingly unchecked power of these folks has no end. 911 to me turned out to be a reason for the government to do what ever it wants.

The average American is either too scared or too apathetic.

I'm saddened because I really do think this once great Republic has sped up its previously slow decline. Its still great place to get rich if you know how or are lucky. Other than that, make as much as you can and leave it at your earliest convenience for others to deal with.

note: meant empathy not apathy in my post.

I write like I think, off the cuff.

Anyway, I know there are a variety of types of people that get stopped.

Having been stopped by cops for years since I was a teenager, I think I know a thing or two about the tactics at the U.S. Customs.

One of the most smart ass answers I ever hard to a cop was by a guy I grew up with and I was home from school. The cops asked if he wouldn't mind if he searched his car. He said no and the cop was surprised and asked the standard 'Are you trying to hide something?' He said 'Tell ya what man, do I get to search your car?'.

The wreckless and seemingly unchecked power of these folks has no end. 911 to me turned out to be a reason for the government to do what ever it wants.

The average American is either too scared or too apathetic.

I'm saddened because I really do think this once great Republic has sped up its previously slow decline. Its still great place to get rich if you know how or are lucky. Other than that, make as much as you can and leave it at your earliest convenience for those that still think they live in a free and fair society to deal with.

I generally carry animist phallic objects in my suitcases. I had some women check my suitcases and they found several black phallic objects in my suitcases. They were holding them upside down and when they held them upright, they were almost in shock from what they saw. I told them "That is what you get for going thru my suitcase".

If they want to know where I have been, I start drawing a map of China Town and include the alleys. I put X's on places of interest and try discussing with them about the location.

As for searches, sure..... but it takes me about 5 - 10 minutess to find the right key that will open the suitcase.

When they are done searching the suitcase, it takes me forever to put everything back into the suitcase. I tell them it took me several hours to get everything in the suitcase, I don't know how long it will take me now. Then I ask for some tape to seal the suitcase. They give me the tape and I ask them for a knife or scissors so as to cut the tape. They refuse so I bite the tape off. Generally I get tape in my mouth so I stand there trying to spit the tape out of my mouth. By this time they want to get my ass out of there real fast but ........

Hopefully I miss my next flight connection so I start my bitching.... the airlines generally puts me up in a hotel and they claim they charge Customs for the bill. Besides the hotel room, I also bitch for a food voucher. Ain't America just great?

That's why anyone who has something to hide (yeah, you know who you are, all you DIRTY BIRDS) should use True Crypt ...

That's not the best solution. Customs can force you to provide them the password.

Biz travelers who work with confidential data are being advised to travel without _any_ data on their notebooks and to download them after their arrival.

Archived