BKK-Udon Thani (Driving)

Pom Michael

Any best routes to drive from Bangkok to Udon Thani?

Anything of interest to see on the way?

Doesn't look like the most direct way goes through Korat/Phimai but does come close to Khon Kaen and Nong Bua Lam Phu before Udon.

Normally I fly, but was thinking to take a slow drive up this time.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

there is a expressway to Korat, Pimai, Khonkaen, Udon; that's the fastest; worst part is in the Khao Yai area (after Saraburi) with all the overloaded trucks from the cement and conrete plants destroying the road.

I have also done Petchabun, Loei, Udon; there is now also a expressway until Petchabun. a more interesting drive, but a long way from Lomsak over Phu Rua, Loei etc. there would be also a shortcut from Lomsak to the Ubonrat Reservoir, but i do not know this one.

I do the Bangkok - Korat - Khon Kaen road prob over 100 times now,

Always stop in KK for dinner, the walking street there is nice,

It's very close to Udon, but a good town to visit for a night, I prefer it far better to Udon

If you want to go not slow, both Korat and KK have by-ways so you don;t have to go in them.

North of KK is a new zoo

It's not that interesting part of Thailand,

It is a boring trip, nothing to see really.

The only reason I might drive would be to visit friends around Chumpon, and I drove a few times Udon-Pattaya over the mountains, visiting GF's sister at Wan Nam Kiauw in the mountains over road 304 from Khorat. Using bypass for KK and Khorat, accidentally went thru both towns a few times wasting time with all the traffic lights.

I do use Pullman Khon Kean as a "luxury" stop sometimes, the only 5* in Isaan (I would rate the place 4*)

I have 3 trips booked from Udon to BKK and two to Phuke-it so far for 2011, all by plane (fortunate to have direct Air Asia flight UTH-HKT), avoiding driving as much as possible.

There is a road restaurant I used to stop for food on the way to BKK, 69 is the name, 5555.

Location at km 369 from BKK, West side of high-way :twocents:

Thanks for the info.

Looks like I'll do the trip as an overnighter.

Bangkok to Khon Kaen. (7 hours by drive)

Stop at the Pullman (web rates show USD 79 - can get it cheaper on Tim's site?)

Next day to Udon. (2 hours) - this hotel looks ok (city center).

Charoen Hotel

549 Phosri Road,

Udonthani

There is a new hotel in udon that is getting great press. On the lake, roof top restaurant. I'm about an hour from udon, come on down. You can see baan chiang, thailand's oldest settlement. The resort in the big town near me is pretty stunning, dc lk and others all stayed there. Plus you can maybe sample local delights.

Archived