Soldier killed, 5 hurt in border clash

Flashermac

Bangkok Post

22 April 2011

One soldier was killed and five others wounded in the exchange of fire between Thai and Cambodian troops along the border of Surin province on Friday morning, reports said.

The dead man was identified as Ranger Boonith Buangam.

The wounded:

1) Sgt Maj Thanaseth Sakorn

2) Sgt Kittidej Thongsri

3) Ranger Suphachai Ritsaeng

4) Ranger Adirek Sae Aeung, and

5) Ranger Thongluan Srisuk

Acting government spokesman Panitan Wattanayagorn said Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva had been briefed on the clash and had ordered the authorities to ensure the safety of local civilians.

Mr Abhisit said later it was still unclear what sparked the skirmish.

He had ordered Prime Minister’s Office Minister Ong-art Klampaibul to travel to Surin to oversee the evacuation of local people to safe areas.

Maybe Hun Sen is irritated by the soldier rallies in Bangkok in support of Takky's rivals.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

UPDATE: 4 soldiers killed, 8 hurt

Four Thai soldiers were killed and eight others wounded, one of them seriously, in a five-hour clash with Cambodian soldiers along the border in Phanom Dong Rak district of Surin province this morning, deputy army spokeswoman Sirichan Ngathong said.

Col Sirichan said the fight began about 6.30am along the border between Ta Kwai and Ta Muen Thom temple ruins in Phanom Dong Rak district of Surin province.

Before the clash, a number of Cambodian soldiers were seen moving over a hill in violation of an earlier agreement that no armed troops of either side would be allowed to trespass on it.

Cambodian soldiers moved to the hill this morning in an attempt to seize it, in violation of the agreement.

When Thai soldiers asked them to pull back, the Cambodian soldiers instead open fire, Col Sirichan said.

The clash lasted until about 11am.

About 7,500 people in tambons Bak Dai and Ta Miang were evacuated from their villages. Four temporary evacuation centres - one in Prasat district and three others in Phanom Dong Rak district - were set up to take them, Col Sirichan said.

Surin governor Serm Chainarong has been in Phanom Dong Rak district to oversee the evacuation. Food supplies and water were being rushed to the evacuation centres.

The 2nd Army has ordered the closure of the Chong Chom - O Samed border crossing on the Thai-Cambodian border in tambon Dan in Kap Choeng district of Surin province for an indefinite period.

Had an American guy who lives out there come into our restaurant this morning. Said he could hear the rounds landing very close by his home in the village, and even said some homes nearby were hit and on fire. He came into the city of Surin to get away from the shelling and got a room for a night or two with his wife after getting family members to safety further away from the conflict at other relatives' homes. Heard from a couple other expat gents I know from the area reporting the same, shelling off and on all morning.

The thing to remember is that Hun Sen's son is personally commanding on the border. Anything that happens thus has the Big Guy's approval. I immediately figured Wun Sen was getting worried because people are sort of forgetting about the border squabble. Time to kill some people and get attention. I don't believe everything the Thai army says, but Hun Sen lies every time he opens his mouth. The man is evil.

Note for them what are geographically challenged: This is NOT happening at the disputed area near Preah Vihar in Sisaket. It's happening near a small temple ruin in Surin, 1/3d of which Cambodia for God knows what reason decided belongs to them. (Essentially, it appears that Hun Sen's West Point educated son wants to seize all the high ground in disputed areas to gain a military advantage.)

This is the same ex-Khmer Rouge Hun Sen who has allowed Hanoi to annex many areas along their border. When Cambodians protested against Hanoi's seizure, Hun Sen ordered the Army and police to use live rounds and fragmentation grenades to break up the protest. No wonder he is Thaksin's good buddy.

The thing to remember is that Hun Sen's son is personally commanding on the border. Anything that happens thus has the Big Guy's approval. I immediately figured Wun Sen was getting worried because people are sort of forgetting about the border squabble. Time to kill some people and get attention. I don't believe everything the Thai army says, but Hun Sen lies every time he opens his mouth. The man is evil.

Note for them what are geographically challenged: This is NOT happening at the disputed area near Preah Vihar in Sisaket. It's happening near a small temple ruin in Surin, 1/3d of which Cambodia for God knows what reason decided belongs to them. (Essentially, it appears that Hun Sen's West Point educated son wants to seize all the high ground in disputed areas to gain a military advantage.)

This is the same ex-Khmer Rouge Hun Sen who has allowed Hanoi to annex many areas along their border. When Cambodians protested against Hanoi's seizure, Hun Sen ordered the Army and police to use live rounds and fragmentation grenades to break up the protest. No wonder he is Thaksin's good buddy.

Yup, Hun Sen is another murdering fuckwad with power, money and influence. Maybe the Cambos will do a middle east protest type thing? Doubtful.

And I hear Thais here blaming all this border crap on Taksin as much as his buddy Hun Sen. They say he is behind all this trouble. I find that hard to figure, but it may have some small bit of truth behind it. Hun Sen's son is another despot in training, no different than the NK asshole dynasty. Just less powerful and hopefully not as demented.

The thing is they, Hun Sen and friends and family, are playing with fire. I can see the Thais getting really pissed off one day soon and sending in their forces (which I believe would seriously kick some Cambo ass) and making a 'no man's land' near the border areas disputed. I don't think Thailand's army and air force would have too much trouble with the Cambodian armed forces if they got pissed off and seriously wanted to do some damage.

And the new/old Thai subs will sit off Sihanoukville and torpedo wave runners. :grin:

Archived