US interests in Thailand on high alert

Flashermac

Bangkok Post

3 May 2011

Police have beefed up security for US citizens and interests in Bangkok in the wake of al-Qaeda terrorist group leader Osama bin Laden's reported death.

US President Barack Obama announced from the White House that bin Laden was killed yesterday by a US-led operation near the Pakistani capital of Islamabad.

His announcement led to fears that members of al-Qaeda would soon retaliate against US citizens and interests abroad, including in Thailand.

The Internal Security Operations Command (Isoc) yesterday called an urgent meeting with security agencies, the army and police to discuss safety measures and assess the security situation in the country, especially in Bangkok and the three Muslim-dominated provinces of Yala, Pattani and Narathiwat.

Isoc secretary-secretary and army chief-of-staff Dapong Rattanasuwan, who chaired the meeting, said he had instructed police to beef up security at important US interests in Bangkok.

These included the US Embassy and its ambassador's residence and the residences of US Embassy employees on Witthayu Road. Officers from the 5th Metropolitan Police Division were deployed yesterday to provide 24-hour patrols in these areas.

Checkpoints have also been set up in front of US-owned interests, said Pol Maj Gen Somchai Patcharainto, commander of the 5th Metropolitan Police Division, who is responsible for providing security for the US Embassy.

Pol Lt Gen Treetos Ronlitthiwichai, commissioner of the Special Branch Bureau, shortly after hearing bin Laden had been killed ordered his subordinates to monitor whether or not there were any al-Qaeda movements in Thailand.

There are fears Muslim insurgents in the deep South may retaliate against the US-led operation to kill bin Laden.

US ambassador to Thailand Kristie Kenney yesterday tweeted after learning bin Laden had been killed that: "Today is an important day for America and our friends around the world. We can never replace the lives lost on 9/11 but today justice was served."

Wear your steel pots and flak jackets ...

I used to get a chicken shawarma from a Muslim chap on Soi 5. He would galways reet me with respect and always was happy to see me.

One day another farang was at his shop eating a shawarma. I placed my order and spoke to the farang who I believe was from Belgium.

After the farang left, I was given my shawarma and in a loud whispered he leaned forward and asked "What was the American talking about?" To him the other farang was an 'American' but in reality I was the 'American'.

Now being a bit of a chess player, mind you a poor one, but do you blow your horn to announce and goad your "enemy"?

WTF, if they killed Osama, shut the fark up, let's stir the pot, let's keep all this going for as long as we can!!! azzholes!!! Now the "terrorists" have their martyr and can get more recruits...very poor strategy, IMO, for the USA and the rest that jumped on this band wagon.

Is a man a martyr who lived in luxury, surrounded by women, as he ordered others out to sacrifice their lives for "the cause"? How is he different from "heroic" politicians who refused to serve in the military themselves but love(d) to send young Americans out to fight and die in foreign wars?

The PR that surrounds Osama is what will make him a martyr, IMO.

The terrorists will put the spin on it to whatever they need.

My point, why stir the pot? if the guy is dead, just shut up about it and move on...but no, the politicians have to milk it for everything THEY can get out of it.

get ready for another round of the phony "security" crap all because the azzholes stirred the pot...but of course any security won't affect our "masters" only us serfs!!!

Archived