Likes Yingluck, not interested in private life

Coss

Re: "Democrats will start digging the dirt", Letters, May 12.

Somsak Pola's praise of the Aussies for being mature in not attacking a fellow politician's private life, with PM Julia Gillard as an example, is understandable when compared with Thai politicians' habits. I agree that it is ungentlemanly and unladylike for politicians to attack opponents on personal grounds.

But after following the marriage of Prince William and Kate Middleton, I now realise that the Western world has changed so much that the personal life of the Australian prime minister is hardly unusual. Elton John was described as present at Westminster Abbey with his husband. Kate Middleton living with the prince prior to their marriage was described without movement of the eyelids.

I have no interest in Yingluck Shinawatra's personal life. However, I like her personality. I bet she could melt Hun Sen's heart and lead us to peace and prosperity if she doesn't listen to her absent brother.

Songdej Praditsmanont

Bangkok

Link

Latest poll ...

<< Meanwhile, a public opinion poll suggests the Democrats have gained support in the last week, though mainly at the expense of smaller parties rather than Pheu Thai, which has also increased in popularity.

An Abac poll asked voters which party they would support on the list if the general election was held today.

Among respondents, 45.5% said they would vote for the Democrat Party, compared to 34.1% in the previous poll on May 1-7.

Meanwhile, 40.5% said they would vote for Pheu Thai, compared to 36.4% in the previous poll.

The poll also gauged respondents' views on the parties' policies.

The survey questioned 2,447 people in 17 provinces across the country between May 8-14.

The survey showed that 57% preferred the Democrat Party's policy of promoting good deeds and morality, compared to 35.7% who favoured that of Pheu Thai.

The poll found 55.9% said they liked the Democrat Party's policy on national reconciliation, while 36.2% said they supported the policy of Pheu Thai.

It also found 49% preferred the Democrat Party's steps to control consumer product prices, while 43.6% favoured the policy backed by Pheu Thai.

Of respondents, 49% liked the Democrat Party's policy on solving people's debt problems, while 45.6% preferred that of Pheu Thai. >>

Bangkok Post

Thaksin proudly claims his sister is 'his clone'

The Pheu Thai Party has voted Yingluck Shinawatra as its No.1 candidate on the party list system to compete against the Democrat Party's Abhisit Vejjajiva for the next premiership in the July 3 election.

Pheu Thai's de facto leader Thaksin Shinawatra, who now lives in self-exile in Dubai (instead of jail), has confirmed he chose Ms Yingluck, his younger sister, for the post but denied that she is his proxy.

[color:red]"Some said she is my nonimee. That's not true. But it can be said that Yingluck is my clone," Thaksin said in an exclusive interview with Post Today editors in Brunei.[/color]

Yesterday's vote at the Pheu Thai Party was taken in the absence of Ms Yingluck. She was told to travel to the party to hear the decision at about 2.20pm, an hour after the vote.

She thanked all party members for their support and said she felt honoured to be nominated.

She said she was confident Pheu Thai's policies could answer the needs of the public.

Thaksin said he had trained Ms Yingluck to improve her management skills since her graduation from university and that he and his sister shared similar management styles.

"Another important thing is that Ms Yingluck is my sister and she can make decisions for me. She can say 'yes' or 'no' on my behalf," Thaksin said.

[color:red]He said his selection of Ms Yingluck was aimed at paving the way for reconciliation.

He said he would have chosen his brother Gen Chaiyasit Shinawatra, a former army chief, as the top party list candidate, instead of Ms Yingluck, if he wanted to retaliate against his political rivals.[/color]

Bangkok Post

Her qualifications:

<< She graduated from Chiang Mai University's political science and public administration and obtained a master's degree in public administration from Kentucky State University in the US.

She worked at Shinawatra Directories Co and then became chief executive of AIS in 2002. After the sale of AIS to Singaporean company Temasek in 2005, she left AIS and became chief executive at SC Asset, Shinawatra's property business. She is now a member and secretary of the Thaicom Foundation. >> :D

Yingluck not PM's choice: Thaksin

Former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra has said that his sister, Yingluck Shinawatra, would not become the next prime minister even if the Pheu Thai Party wins the election.

In an exclusive interview with Matichon, Thaksin said he feared that Yingluck would be attacked and destroyed by the Democrat if she became the government leader.

Thaksin said he was considering several PM choices, including Mingkwan Saengsuwan, Pracha Promnok and Yongyuth Wichaidit as well as a few other outsiders.

Following are excerpts from his interview given to Matichon:

Yingluck is Pheu Thai's No-1 party-list candidate. So, you have decided to make her the next prime minister?

I am thinking about it. The prime minister does not need to be No-1 party-list candidate. I am thinking about it back and forth. First of all, Thai politicians are bent on destroying rivals. Anyone who becomes the government leader will be destroyed. Both true and untrue stories will be cited to try to destroy the government leader. So, I feel sorry for my sister and she is a woman. She is good at administration and she sued to run AIS and run a firm with Bt200 billion worth of assets. But running a firm is different from running a government.

I believe when she becomes the prime minister, she will definitely be destroyed by the Democrat. So, I am worried whether she will be able to tolerate it. … I am confident she can be a very capable prime minister because she has more administration experience more than Abhisit [Vejjajiva, the Democrat leader].

-- The Nation 2011-05-23

Archived