IMF head Strauss-Kahn charged with rape of hotel maid

Flashermac

No bail.

"A haggard, unshaven and grim-looking Strauss-Kahn, his forehead furrowed beneath a slash of silver hair, made his first court appearance. Appearing before the Manhattan judge, he slumped at the defense table in a dark raincoat and open-collared shirt.

He is accused of attacking a maid who went in to clean his penthouse suite Saturday at the luxury Sofitel Hotel near Times Square. He is charged with attempted rape, sex abuse, a criminal sex act, unlawful imprisonment and forcible touching. The top count is punishable by five to 25 years in prison."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110516/ap_on_re_us/imf_head_assault

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply
No bail.

"A haggard, unshaven and grim-looking Strauss-Kahn, his forehead furrowed beneath a slash of silver hair, made his first court appearance. Appearing before the Manhattan judge, he slumped at the defense table [color:red]in a dark raincoat[/color] and open-collared shirt.

He is accused of attacking a maid who went in to clean his penthouse suite Saturday at the luxury Sofitel Hotel near Times Square. He is charged with attempted rape, sex abuse, a criminal sex act, unlawful imprisonment and forcible touching. The top count is punishable by five to 25 years in prison."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110516/ap_on_re_us/imf_head_assault

Did he have pants and/or at least underwear on?

What strikes me as odd is all the publicity. Normally guys with his kind of clout manage to keep things quiet.

It happened to a Frenchman in the USA. Conservative USA media will be all over it.

Three thoughts:

- Strauss Kahn had been involved in a kind of sex scandal at the beginning of his job at IMF. He had an affair with a women working for him and he had to apologize publicly. So maybe he does over step boundaries and ignores rules in regard to women occasionally.

- False accusations of rape seem to be rare. As far as I understand false accusations usually happen when a women wants to smear/destroy a person she knows well. A hotel maid in a luxury hotel making a false accusation against a very high-ranking guest seem to be very far-fetched. I guess more often rapes by a person of power go unreported and are being dealt with secretly.

- Strauss Kahn has an important international position and he was about to declare running for president for the Left in the next election in France. Even before his announcement his ratings among the French was higher than of president Nicolas Sarkozy.

The recent years have shown that politics in France is extremely dirty' date=' even with French secret service and other agencies involved. Smear campaigns including false accusations and faked evidence seem to be not that uncommon.

Since this happened in the USA it will be harder to prove for Strauss Kahn that he was set up (if he was set up) as long as the maid sticks to her story. If it was a set up it won't be a problem to produce false evidence (DNA traces, e.g.), since the maid (and whoever is employing her) had free access to his room every day.[/quote']

You never know unless you're actually there - but I tend to agree with your assessment. This isn't like the Duke Lacrosse players case - this one seems pretty simple.

Yeah, it could be some genius stroke of political opponents sabotaging an innocent man ---> but more likely it's an egomaniac without a sense of restraint who went way too fucking far.

And yeah, the US media will be all over it - Americans live for this sordid shit.

My opinion:

Strauss-Kahn: probably guilty

US media gleeful overkill: definitely guilty

Archived