Virus Eruption in BKK

Yes, I've been getting this same virus, every day in the morning I would get two emails, presumably from the hotel I stay at in Nong Khai. Attached to each email would be a copy of this klez virus, with a variety of names and extensions (.exe, .bat, etc) and some other file from the hotel's hard drive (that varies as well). The return address was bogus.

Finally dopped a line to the hotel at their real email address and KSC yesterday letting them know about the situation and today I did not get my daily virus barrage. Conicidence? Probably.

This is one of those rare moments that having the odd operating system (Mac) is a small advantage (Macs have their own viruses, only not quite as many).

This looks like a nasty one. Good luck getting rid of it.

RickF

I ended up going to www.mcafee.com and ordering (then dowloading, installing, and running) VirusScanOnline - for US $29.00. It took almost an hour to download and run - but it ferretted out the bugger, and squashed it. I still received additional mailings from "downstream" infectees, but they have all been stripped of virus content - blank messages.

B-Fly BKK

I got an e-mail last week from Thaifly.com when i opened the attachment (really bad idea) things started to go really wrong and it sent itself to everyone in my address book before I knew it. I installed Norton's anti virus and it was able to inoculate the virus right away. But the computer continued to have problems. (blue screens and sudden shut downs. So I reformatted the hard drive and things are back to normal finally.

I bought the Mcafee 6 Professional, and loaded it. it is difficult to use (I am of course computer illiterate). It ran for awhile, then said it was corrupt, and to reinstall it, did that 4 times, same thing. tried damned near everything...going nuts...

More information on the Klez virus can be found here:

http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.klez.gen@mm.html

Updated Norton/Mcafee will detect most strains but the newer ones have to be removed manually. There are strains of this one that dont even require you to open the attachment. i mean dont these people have anything better to do.

Tonight my email seems to be o.k. I have Earthlink as a provider. The passed few days were pure hell, lots of emails telling me stuff couldn't be sent... I have heard certain providers do a better job of stopping this sort of thing from getting through, any ideas if this is true? Also, how to manually remove this particular strain? Do they only last so long or what? This sort of shit pisses me off!

If you have klez.E or klez.H you can download the removal tool from here:

http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.klez.removal.tool.html

there are also instructions to do it manually by editing the registry. If you have klez.gen you still need to remove the earlier versions as this is generic variant of the klez.e virus.

make sure you also delete all emails from your outlook express (inbox and deleted) that are unfamilar, contain attachments or are not essential. you may have to re-install your antivirus program as this worm aslo corrupts some of the files used.

The easiest solution to these viri is: stop using Outlook and Outlook Express. Yes, MS has got you just where they want you (locked-in), but it's the king of the hill the viri writers are after, because they're the easy target. This is why MS has told their developers to stop emphasizing new features (they've won that game) and now focus on security (it's about time).

Archived