Vietnam-China rift grows

Flashermac

Ironically it will prolly be the US to Vietnams rescue .... that would round out the circle!

W

That's the irony of history. Currently only the USA has the means to support and protect all those Asian countries against China's political, economical and military powerplay.

As much as many people (like in Korea) hate the US military, they all depend on it.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What about the Kuril Islands. Those are worth a war over. Oh, wait. Japan does not have an army. Japan relies on the good ole USA for it's security.

Of course Japan has an Army. It just has a different name: Self Defense Forces

Until the rise of China it had been a toothless Tiger, but it became more aggressive in the last 15 years, including some small skirmishes with Chinese fishing boats, i. e. spy ships.

I doubt seriously even the US would have the balls to fight directly in a war against China. Even supplying weapons or technology to Vietnam in a skirmish against China would push the friendship IMO

China is currently building a huge fleet including an aircraft carrier. And very worrisome for the USA are the newly developed anti-aircraft carrier weapons. They might be able to destroy the US dominance at sea within minutes.

The USA had a large part in arming China, building steel mills for them, US companies transferring research and design, factories, etc.

It is just a matter of a short time before China stands tall and tells the world that China will be the master of the world, IMO... :dunno:

...and the EU, mostly Germany and France also did the same as the US, so som nam nah to all the countries that sold out to China!!!

Flash and one or two others here know a bit more about the Vietnam war than I do (Ok, a *lot* more), but these people can fight and they dont particularly care if the enemy is a 'super power'. Vietnam and Afghanistan - two sleeping dogs we need to leave well enough alone.

I know its OT, but short of nuking Pakistan I cant see a way out of Afghanistan - China would find themselves in a similar position if they did manage to invade Vietnam. Saw a doco the other night where they reeled off the countries which had tried to occupy Afghanistan only to abandon it, and it was a long and scary list indeed. Switched channels and there was a program on Australian soldiers in Vietnam : at 10 years, our longest wartime committment. Guess how many years troops have been in Afghanistan ?

Archived