They're 'up' for it

Coss

Link

30159247-01.jpg

Thousands are waiting to hear if they've been selected for Thai Airways' cabin crews.

Lots of people want to be "angels in the sky", and for Thais yearning to be flight attendants, Thai Airways International is the best place to work.

The national carrier has drawn 3,688 applicants with its first recruitment in three years - for just 370 openings.

Patiphat Sangkaew, 24, is among those waiting for the results, pinning his hopes on having made it to "the final frontiers" of the selection process - the swimming test and physical exam.

"I've always dreamed of joining THAI, but when I first graduated there were no vacancies," says the marketing grad who currently works for Siam Cement.

"Being a flight attendant is a career that's attractive and challenging," Patiphat says. "It requires different skills for changing situations.

"I've applied at many airlines and always failed, but THAI is my dream because it's the national airline. It offers a stable career path - for me, salary is secondary."

Patiphat applied online in late April and was called in for an interview. Unlike many, he didn't take a course to prepare for the process. The helpful courses can cost Bt10,000.

"I just searched the Internet, particularly ThaiCabinCrew.com, and asked people who've experienced the application process. I mostly asked them about the questions I might be asked and how to dress - you look best if you wear a vest under a white shirt."

At the interview he learned that much emphasis is placed on weight and height. Some male applicants drink lots of water to boost their kilo count and some females find ways to jack up their hair so they're taller.

The toughest question for Patiphat: Why does he want this job when he already has one that pays well at a good company? "Everyone was asked that. The question seems easy, but it's pretty difficult to impress the committee with your answers.

"I was also surprised when they asked if I ever do household chores and asked to see my hands," he laughs. "Fortunately my hands are rough!"

Another applicant who asks to be identified only by her nickname, Kaew, has been preparing for years. In high school she took English classes, then spent two months at the San Air Training Centre, a course that cost Bt14,500.

THAI requires decent scores on TOEIC, TOEFL and ITELTS academic tests, and the San centre helped Kaew with that.

"I don't like office jobs, but I love travelling and serving people," says the 26yearold, "so THAI is my 'destination'. One of my tutors had been a THAI crew member and spoke highly of the airline."

Being a flight attendant is not the dream of Purida Wisetbupha, who instead entered the application process to gain new experience.

"I want to be part of the aviation industry - my dream is to be the director of the flight department, helping shape the future of Thai aviation," says the 26yearold Kasetsart University aerospace-engineering graduate.

She's currently pursuing a master's at Nakhon Phanom University's International Aviation College.

"I applied to be a pilot with Thai AirAsia but didn't get it, so here I am applying at THAI. I don't think I'm good at interviews, but if I fail I'll just study harder."

Bhinkham Rohitasthira, vice president of THAI's Inflight Service, acknowledges that the process is quite complicated. Amid aptitude tests and group interviews, the applicants are assessed for general knowledge, teamwork ability, emotional control and whether they have a "service mind".

"Women have to take the 50-metre swimming tests and the men 100 metres, weight and height are important, and they need a good personality," Bhinkham says.

[color:brown]"They need not be beautiful or handsome, but it's a plus if they have beautiful teeth because nice smiles impress the passengers.[/color]"

As the selection process continues, any of the 400 firstround candidates can fall by the wayside at any time. The airline aims to recruit 370 people, but if it can't find 370 people with the right qualifications, it will make do with less.

It's a dream job, after all, and it's a rare thing when dreams come true.

That airline sucks, I hope they had better screening procedures for the new staff, on my trip to and from Korea the cabin staff were lazy, forgetful, disinterested, and that is before I start to go on about the state of the plane an the meal :beer:

The pay is decent by Thai standards, since it includes an annual bonus and pier diem each flight. Also, their entire family can fly on Thai for free. I think about 80% of the female students want to be an air hostess, no matter what their major may be. Several of my students got on with other airlines - JAL, Air Asia. None that I know of ever made it with Thai. It really helps to have "influential friends".

p.s. Thai was one of the top airlines, until the generals screwed around with it after the 1992 coup. It had never lost money before that. The coups leaders got themselves appointed to the governing board of Thai Airways - and they just plain ruined it, buying unneeded aircraft and looting the funds. Thai had been rated #1 for service in the world. Swiss Air sent their cabin staff to study with Thai to learn how to improve their own service.

Haven't flown Thai Air in several years but they had always been good. Many times I would sip a glass or three of wine and upon arrival, they would give me the remainder of the bottle of wine!

...had one lady flight attendant who wanted to make sure I got home OK... :hubba: :p:beer::drool::dunno:

Archived