A Movie Question

[color:red]Should I drag a BG/TG/MG to a movie while I'm in BKK? I love movies, but I wonder if it would be time well spent or a complicated deal. Would a girl like this?

thaistudent color=red>

IMO, it is the best place to take your Thai friend. I take straight girls to the movies all the time and also the occasional bargirl.

HighThaied is right though that it could be a bit rough for a first date. To solve that problem I recommend you have a bite to eat first to break the ice and make the gal feel a bit more comfortable. Or, just stop in Swenson's and share an Earthquake (whole bunch of ice cream scoops in a bowl). Lots of fun and gives you a chance to know each other better.

Then, after the movie, I like to again stop at the food court or a pub, etc. to chat about the movie we just watched. Again, it is all about connecting, and I find this works just fine.

And, as Ranger mentioned, if you really want to impress your date, take her to one of the deluxe theaters. There are plenty of them around and they feature very nice, luxurious surroundings to watch your flick.

I am impressed by the quality of questions you are asking on this board humblestudent. I am sure you will have a great visit to the LOS with the excellent attitude you have.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If they've never played before, bowling is hilarious. I was just thinking about ice skating though. May not be much fun to climb into bed a little later with a black and blue body (Thai girls bruise easily). I doubt they roller skated much as kids, so would probably be pretty scared, and could do some serious bodily damage on hard ice.

I have found top rated movies to run weeks behind usa openings if not longer. Also, it is a shame how all the theaters show the exact same picture for the exact same duration. It is that typical thai mentality of copy my neighbor. They don't understand market diversivication and how to distinguish oneself from the rest. How about taking a risk sometimes on foreign pictures or other interesting american cuts.

Granted many off color or sophisticated american pictures are over the heads of thais but they might show well in the ex-pat/tourist comminity.

I couldn't believe "in the bedroom" ran for like a couple of weeks and now you can't find it anywhere. Also, Moulin Rouge was brought back after it received some awards but again in short duration.

The Thai movie industry is stuck with showing the mindless, superficial, tech-driven pictures that either the mass audiences love or they are dictating what the audiences see. I am not sure if the cart or the horse that comes first in this case.

This is one of the few things I miss that the bay area has to offer.

cardinalblue

HT, I mentioned in another thread that taking Thai ladies ice-skating is a real hoot. I have taken ladies to the ice skating rink on the 8th floor of the World Trade Center and you should see their eyes widen when they first step on to the ice. Priceless!!!

I am not a great skater, but most of the Thai ladies I take have never been to an ice skating rink. If you want to have a lot of fun, head over to the WTC. Very inexpensive, and there is always Swenson's on the 6th floor where you can rub Coconut ice cream on those bruises. smile.gif

So far there's only been one film that has opened here and in the U.S. simultaneously. That was recently, but it was a crappy film, so I didn't go and can't remember the name of it. If "Spiderman" is opening next Wednesday here, then I suspect it must be opening this week in the U.S.

I remember when only a handful of American films would come here, and when they did, they would hang on forever. I believe the first "Jurassic Park" film was at Scala for 6 months, if memory serves me correctly!

Now they seem to disappear quickly, especially if it's one of decent quality. They could do more in bringing in quality films from OTHER countries, also, I feel. Right now, Alliance Francaise and the Goethe Institut do admirable jobs bringing in decent French and German films, respectively. (Would it REALLY be that hard for the Japanese Cultural Center to add English subtitles along with the Thai?)

I would like to see a true art-film house here. And I don't mean the laughable effort that that one group tried a few years back, I mean a truly serious attempt. Discounts could be given to nationals of the films from the countries being shown (like half off for French people for French films, etc.). I think there's a market for it here, if someone wanted try.

Sounds like a real winner smile.gif Thanks Sarisin, I'll try it. Maybe I'll just forget the skating, and just go right to the coconut ice cream part........

Thanks for the compliment Sarisin, and I love the skating idea. I grew up on the east coast of the US, so I have some ice skating skills which might come in handy. Haven't been on the ice in a long time so I'll have to be very careful not to break my neck, or arm...

Where is the WTC in relation to Majestic on Suk 4-6?

And I love ice cream so a stop at swenson's will be in order!

thaistudent

Discovery (Siam Discovery Center) is on the corner of Rama I and Phaya Thai roads, across the street from Siam Square, and right next door to Siam Center (the two are connected by a walkway on the 4th floor); take the Skytrain to Siam Station.

The WTC is not too far away from the Siam Square area, about my maximum walking distance inside Bangkok (and I hate walking in Bangkok). On the corner of Rama I Road (right where it becomes Ploenchit Road) and that road whose name I never can remember: Ratchaphrarop? Across the street from what's left of Gaysorn Plaza. Take the Skytrain to Chitlom Station.

Archived