Thai people, pls forgive ignorant Farang ....

gobbledonk

I've made some pretty wild statements on this board, usually out of pure ignorance ('Thailand is the flattest country on earth', to name but one), but this bbs posting takes the cake:

If anybody still thinks Thailand is a 3rd world country, they obviously have never been to siam paragon. I spent an entire afternoon JUST in the food court! Didnt even get a chance to visit that hi-fi floor with all the pretty speakers

This clown based his opinion of Thailand's economy on the Food Court at Siam Paragon. We moan about the 'two speed economy' here in Oz (miners vs the rest) : our friend really did need to leave the hotel a little more often. Maybe we only see what we want to see.

Two speed economy, if Western Australia seceded from Australia, as per bogong Wayne Swans flippant request, the east side of Australia would fall into a financial meltdown ... I think most countries have different economies, based on class levels, which have been well known for years.

Siam Paragon is clearly marked for tourists, the upper class and lower classes on their day out or to see how the other half live :beer:

Paragon for tourists? Most tourists couldn't afford 90% of the stuff they sold there. I personally think it is more for Thailands Hiso's.

The foodcourt is the only affordable part of Paragorn. And it is a favourite of mine if I am around the area :)

Chiang Rai now has a Central Mall that is quite impressive and gives a somewhat disquieting social upgrade to the city.

I managed to spend 50 bucks there yesterday just looking for an Aeon ATM (a camera bag and a stainless strainer).

It would certainly give someone a different impression of Chiang Rai if it was the first place they saw.

And yes, the food courts look pretty good as well.

I haven't been to Chiang Rai in 25 years. Not sure if I really want to go either. :(

p.s. I can't afford Paragon! At least, I'm not willing to pay the ridiculously inflated prices there.

I must admit, their Louis Vuitton range is about 5% over priced as to that chain's usual prices - but Siam paragon is just your standard shopping centre offering those chain stores, nothing more, nothing less :beer:

I haven't been to Chiang Rai in 25 years. Not sure if I really want to go either. :(

p.s. I can't afford Paragon! At least, I'm not willing to pay the ridiculously inflated prices there.

The old town is still nice, down around the main day market and where the gold shops are.

And you're well and truly out of town in ten minutes, especially heading west and south west.

Nice quiet mountains and small villages.

I remember how I used to take the train to Chiang Mai or Lampang, and then the bus to CR. We'd pass buffalo drawn kwians on the way, and in town you travelled by samlors.

For one thing, there are too damned many people now. When I came to LOS as a PC vol, the population was about 42 million. Now Thailand has 65 million ... perhaps even 67 million. That is one helluva big increase! :p

Archived