Best Mobile Phone Deal in BKK?

Sarisin

>Any suggestions to a phone that has all the neat stuff?

Well it's all personal choice. For me I wanted a phone that was very small and had fast internet and infrared modem - so I picked a Siemens S45 last year and would have bought the waterproof ME45 it was in stock back then. This is classified as a 2.5 GSM phone. Soon there will be 3G phones out there where you can send color images and multimedia - which the girls will like. Lots of new phones coming out all the time. My lady could care less about GPRS at the moment, all she wants is a phone that looks pretty, is small and plays a cute tune. If you aren't sure what to get, just browse the web sites like www.torasap.com or www.siamcellphone.com to see what the latest trend in BKK is.

I don't think many phones can do SMS in Thai so far. I have only ever used English with the girls - with amusing results.

Cheers,

Thanks for the info. Palatkik. I am leaning towards going with the DTAC DPrompt plan now as I don't make many calls. but receive a bunch. There was a nice comparative article on the mobile phone companies in today's Post.

I would like to get the text-messaging capabilities because, as you mentioned, it might be a hoot exchanging English messages with my straight girls. But, I don't know if many Thai ladies have phones with the messaging capabilities in English.

I'll be visiting DTAC this week at the WTC. They have a new telephone showroom on the 7th floor now with all the gee-whiz models available.

>But, I don't know if many Thai ladies have phones with the messaging capabilities in English.

I think it's the opposite isn't it? My GF's phones have never had the ability to SMS in Thai, only English text. The menus etc can be set to appear in Thai but the SMS input from the hand phone keypad is only English. I have heard of Thai SMS (on some Nokias) but I haven't seen it or know how one could key that in.

If you've got DPROMPT (the prepaid system), they may not allow data, fax, GPRS connections - but you can do SMS. I had same problem with One-2-Call and swicthed to post paid account in a Thai name to get most out of the new hand phone features available these days.

Good luck.

Cheers,

Archived