Best Mobile Phone Deal in BKK?

Sarisin

I have a three year old Motorola mobile phone I purchased for 30,000 baht nearly three years ago (yes, I know, but at the time, this was top of the line). Now, it is starting to give me a few problems and doesn't have all the nifty, gee-whiz features of many of the new handsets which carry much lower pricetags.

I have been with DTAC (and before that World Media Phone) for the duration.

Now I am confused with all the deals coming out from TA Orange, AIS, and DTAC. For example, I heard DTAC might be offering a 10,000 B credit towards the purchase of a new handset or giving rebates. TA Orange has some good deals.

Any recommendations for a poor old confused boy?

Last saturday I got myself an Orange Nokia 3310 with prepaid system. Had to wait in line for half an hour. At MBK they were overpricing the package so I bought it at an official Orange shop. Activating the damn thing was the hardest part. I had to call customer care for about 40 minutes before it worked at last. Because this is all new I guess they still suffer some bad connections. When I call check balance, most time I got disconnected. Who else got phones and/or system from Orange. What is your experience in this? In my opinion if they work out these problems it's a great company, considering I did called for 1 Baht a minute to my girlfriend. It's much cheaper in comparison with AIS. Of course now you can call international with one2 call, but I can call international with my home simcard. Anyone knows if it is possible to call international with Orange prepaid system. I did not try it , and now I am back in my homecountry.

By the way, where did you get the info that DTAC will give you 10.000 Baht rebate? Seems an awful lot to me.

If you want a new handset Orange's 3310 is the best deal. Sold out in many places.

We (gf and I) are using Orange's prepaid card in our old handsets (unlocked). Had it activated in the shop (in MBK, the Orange shop won't sell the card only) - took 5 minutes. Their "family and friends" is great (1 B per minute nationwide for 5 numbers you chose if you activate before April 30). I did call international with it (cheaper than 12call because Orange gives you a 20% loyalty bonus if you call for more than 25 B in one day).

Sometimes I must dial 3 or 4 times with Orange, or I cannot get through at all. Travelling to Isaan, Orange stopped working after passing Korat.

If you are happy with DTAC why not stick with them and keep the same number? You can probably also keep the same number and enlist with a new promotion package when you buy a new hand phone model so you?ll have cheaper phone bills. It won?t cost much different to buying a new hand phone without a number. If you are a frequent traveler I would use AIS (my service provider) as they have the best coverage in Thailand and a complete International Roaming package as good as the others though they aren?t the cheapest.

I presume if you spent 30,000B before on a hand phone you?ll want more than a basic Nokia 3310 this time around. There are all kinds of hand phone models out there and it depends on what you want. I often like to catch up with news and email on the road so WAP with GPRS is kind of neat for that. If you travel to the US much you might consider a tri-band phone.

Cheers,

How much did you pay for changing imei or unlocking the phone as you say it? I saw a Thai girl paying 100 Baht for changing imei on her Orange Nokia 3310 phone. I have to change mine next time I arrive. Does anybody know, if you can use DTAC now without changing imei? I have read that as of april 1st, they removed imei on all phones and imeilock for Dprompt system. So it should be possible to use any phone from abroad to use with DPrompt. Anyone experienced this already?

erik, there was an article in The Nation this week explaining some of the deals the various phone companies are offering. As for DTAC, they said they were CONSIDERING offering the 10,000 baht credit to customers that had been with them for some time. I qualify for that. Also being considered was a monthly rebate on the phone bills.

You are probably right Palatkik.

Yes, I bought one of the V-series Motorola when it first came out in late '98. Actually, I was tricked. I was at the WTC and they were having a promotion for many of the phone handsets and three lovelies in silver minis and boots convinced me it was time to turn in my old Motorola clunker. smile.gif I did receive a 9,000 baht credit towards the purchase of the new one, so it was really only 21,000 baht.

Yes, I do like to buy the latest newfangled phone on the market.

Any suggestions to a phone that has all the neat stuff?

BTW, I was mesmerized in the Philippines by the way the gals send those text messages ( 1 P each). I'm not sure if that would work for me here though as my reading/writing of Thai is poor and I think the messages cost more to send.

Thanks iuytrede, but I already knew that. I want to know changing Imei of a Nokia. Did someone already changed his on a Nokia? Please give me the imeinumber it changed to. push *#06# to see the imeinumber...THANKS

Archived