Army Wants 30-Odd New Helicopters.

Coss

link

The army plans to seek approval from the next government to buy at least 30 new helicopters to replace a fleet that has been in use for over three decades.

Army chief Gen Prayuth Chan-ocha said on Tuesday that the Royal Thai Army would seek budget funding in the 2012 fiscal year from the next government to purchase at least 30 new helicopters.

They would replace its current fleet of ageing UH-H1 Huey helicopters.

The helicopters were a gift from the US government when it disposed of surplus equipment after the Vietnam war.

Gen Prayuth said the army proposed the purchase to the Abhisit Vejjajiva government, but it was knocked back.

Asked about the three crashes this month of army helicopters, Gen Prayuth said commanders wanted to take good care of their men, but it was not easy to get what they wanted.

An army source said the army wants to order 36 new Bell 212 helicopters to replace its old Huey helicopters, one of which crashed in Kraeng Krachan National Park in Phetchaburi province on July 16.

The crash killed five soldiers. The helicoper was one of the 30 second-hand helicopters the US decommissioned and handed over to the Thai army. The Bell 212 is the civilian version of the military Huey helicopter.

On July 19, a Black Hawk helicopter crashed nearby and killed nine people on board including a major general who was the commander of a local infantry division.

On July 24, a Bell 212 helicopter crashed in Kaeng Krachan district of Phetchaburi, killing three soldiers and injuring another, on its way to retrieve bodies from the Black Hawk crash site.

Moved to tears by people's hope

First Army commander Lt Gen Udomdet Seetabut, who was assigned by Army Chief Gen Prayuth Chan-ocha to lead the search and rescue operation of the three Thai army helicopter crashes in nine days near the Thai-Burmese border in Phetchaburi, talks to WASSANA NANUAM about his feelings on the mission and the tragedies.

Are you afraid of travelling by helicopter now?

Not at all, but we have to think twice if it is really necessary to use a helicopter.

Was the Bell 212 helicopter that crashed on Sunday intended as an aircraft for the First Army chief?

Yes. But since I'm here all the time, I was not using it for now. Next time I have to travel by a helicopter, I will have to think more thoroughly. That is not because I am scared but I have to think whether it is worth travelling by helicopter. Travelling by car can be a better option to save on travelling costs.

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/security/248785/moved-to-tears-by-people-hope

:yeahthat::hmmm:

Archived