The End Of Nep ....

gobbledonk

Reading ratchada's thoughts on Patpong in another thread prompts me to ask 'How many years have we predicted the end of NEP ?'. I agree with him that it is in a prime position for redevelopment, and I also agree with others that its a major fire hazard, but the place has been a shambles for years (decades) ?

When I look across the road, I see the Nana Hotel, itself long overdue for the wrecking ball, then further down the road we have the rotting corpse of Rajah Mansion and assorted businesses which seem to change hands every few months. Moving back onto Suk, they are finally putting something on the corner of Soi 22, yet Wa Square remains in all its crumbling glory.

I'm not saying that it wont happen, but I'm not prepared to write the old girl off yet. I dont spend a lot of time in NEP itself, but its hard to imagine Soi 4 without that glaring neon.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Granted, I don't think it's going anywhere anytime soon...but I do think it's inevitable that one day we'll wake up and it will suddenly be on the verge of closing. I will be sad, even though these days I spend little time on soi 4 save for the non-Nana bars that do the battle of the cheap happy hour beers (Bar 4 and Striker's, mostly).

From a real estate development perspective, I think Cowboy would go before NEP. The Asok/Sukhumvit area is turning into a major office district and Cowboy sits right in the middle of it.

TH

Cowboy is difficult for a developer as the buildings are owned by many. It would take a lot of negotiation to get them all to agree to sell I am told.

But who knows!

Cheers,

Mark

From a real estate development perspective, I think Cowboy would go before NEP. The Asok/Sukhumvit area is turning into a major office district and Cowboy sits right in the middle of it.

TH

Cowboy is difficult for a developer as the buildings are owned by many. It would take a lot of negotiation to get them all to agree to sell I am told.

But who knows!

Cheers,

Mark

But who knows!

Cheers,

Mark

Money and power talks. I guess, if a really powerful figure who is well connected in the Asoke area (including the higher ups in the police of course), would be able to harass the owners until they would sell. You'll just have to wait another 5-10 years when the land gets even more expensive...

Archived