Increasing Traffic

khunsanuk

Hi,

"I don't know if Ajarn is the biggest Thai-based board"

Biggest is almost certainly ThaiVisa.com. God knows why though as it is atrocious looking. The ads are a serious nuisance on there.

Sanuk!

Thaivisa seems to be full of newbies, but then I guess that is the whole point of this thread - get a few more newbies on T360. As an eternal newbie, I dont think there is a single thing that anyone can tell me about Thailand that I didn't already know ! :neener:

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

TV has a back bone of a hundred or so loyal long term posters, there's little information on Thailand, other than whoring, that can't be accessed.

People tend to judge it on a few bad experiences and heavy handed moderating, but if you just need to find out something it's usually a reliable source, particular if you live in the sticks.

A lot of what I know about the north came from there and I've met some well informed blokes through it. (As well as a few dickheads, but I trust myself to know the difference). B)

I've looked at both ThaiVisa's and Ajarn's boards. Not the least interested in reading them.

Some years ago there was a Thai Teachers board. It was basically a way for teachers of all levels to praise or damn their schools and unis, plus ask general questions about visa, wps etc. The posters really gave it to the rip off places, especially a series of "international schools" owned by a wealthy Chinese-Thai woman. Allegedly, her schools would hire people, promising a proper visa, work permit etc - and start them on a 90-day visa (minus wp). When the 90-day visa ran out, the school would hem and haw and send them off on visa runs. Then at the end of the school year, the teacher would be fired to avoid paying them over the term break. The owner was so furious that she was trying to track down the webmaster, seeking to get him arrested and the board shut down. I exchanged emails a number of times with the websmaster and got to know him sort of anonymously. He worked somewhere around Chonburi, I think. I never did meet the guy, and he finally gave in to pressure and killed the board. Pretty sure he finally left Thailand.

It doesn't pay to anger the wrong people in LOS!

I don't post on TV, but read it all the time. Pourquoi? Because they send out a daily (or almost daily) list of top news stories with a brief description and a link to the thread. There are some perceptive posters there that are quick to call bullshit on... bullshit (like the guy who supposedly was robbed and had his throat slit by a gang of Thais, and it turned out to be a couple Europeans (Swedes? Can't remember, and nationality not really important) who he had turned into the authorities, but it looked like they were all shady. Shit, I'm rambling).

Anyway, I like the personalities here better. Many more annoying cunts there posting petty stabs at each other. But TV serves its purpose and both here and there are good sources when running searches (hotels in Chiang Mai, etc.).

But, I think the original point was -- their process of sending out the news clips like that is effective and I would imagine -- keeps a lot of folks coming back.

Also, what exactly is their relationship with 'The Nation?' I'm sure that generates significant traffic.

As I've said, I rarely read the news or general section and almost always delete their news letters unopened, purely because that's all they are, links to news stories and a heap of posts slagging off Thais.

I find it valuable for local information though and also for interaction with other expats.

For example: On Monday afternoon I drove into town at arranged time, waited for a guy in a school carpark while he picked his kids up and we exchanged bags of books.

Complete strangers minutes before.

Hi,

We actually tried a newsletter last year and it didn't really work. It was quite a bit of work (as it needs to be done manually) and I didn't see any increase in traffic.

A related problem is also that there isn't enough new content to send out, especially since I see no point in sending out news stories you could easily get from either of the 2 English newspapers (or their sites).

Sanuk!

Archived