Laptops On Planes.

sayjann

anyone have a problem with them at airports?

i never really had the option years ago but always an internet cafe available if i needed it.

my last few visits have included a computer in the room so not a problem so i left the laptop at home,but my new hotel has no in-room computer but wi-fi in every room so will take the laptop with me as it's handy to just keep in touch.

but at airports they like you to put them through the x-ray machine(i would still worry about losing data).

i've been to 4 travel agents in my area and asked if i can pack it in my hold luggage?.

some say yes,no problem but others have said it's not an option.

i do not need the laptop until i get to thailand so why should i have the grief of having to carry it around with me.

i plan to wrap it up in bubblewrap and put it in my hold baggage on the top of my case,probably wrapped up in a pair of jeans to just keep it protected a little.

when i am at the check-in desk should i declare that there is a laptop in my case?.

i have been told that different airlines have different policies but it will be no real problem for me to extract it from my case and take it as hand luggage.

just a nuisance to have to carry it around with me and look after it.

thoughts from more experienced travellers please...........

anyone have a problem with them at airports?

i never really had the option years ago but always an internet cafe available if i needed it.

my last few visits have included a computer in the room so not a problem so i left the laptop at home,but my new hotel has no in-room computer but wi-fi in every room so will take the laptop with me as it's handy to just keep in touch.

but at airports they like you to put them through the x-ray machine(i would still worry about losing data).

i've been to 4 travel agents in my area and asked if i can pack it in my hold luggage?.

some say yes,no problem but others have said it's not an option.

i do not need the laptop until i get to thailand so why should i have the grief of having to carry it around with me.

i plan to wrap it up in bubblewrap and put it in my hold baggage on the top of my case,probably wrapped up in a pair of jeans to just keep it protected a little.

when i am at the check-in desk should i declare that there is a laptop in my case?.

i have been told that different airlines have different policies but it will be no real problem for me to extract it from my case and take it as hand luggage.

just a nuisance to have to carry it around with me and look after it.

thoughts from more experienced travellers please...........

It is absolutely no problem to have a notebook x-rayed.

And I would never put electronic devices into my checked lugguage. It is just too dangerous that the device vanishes.

And if your luggage gets lost they might have to open it and see a notebook. ...

Take your notebook in hour carry on.

I'd put it in the case without a second thought if I didn't want to carry it.

I always carried mine, even though it was an old clunker (state of the art in 2004 though!)

Loss and theft happens but I must have several hundred flights under my belt in the last ten years and it's never happened to me.

Just insure and back up.

Take it as hand luggage otherwise it may get broken or nicked.

Most airlines will ask you to remove it from your hand luggage bag before putting it through xray but there is no issue with this.

maybe it's just because i'm lazy.

my hand luggage normally just includes a book,camera(with accessories)and a warm top as i normally find planes get chilly at times.

it won't be that much of a problem having to carry it as hand luggage,it's just that i'd rather not.

i have one 2 hour stopover on the way to bkk so that's not really a problem,it's just that i have a 12 hour stopover on the way back and i don't really fancy carrying it around with me all that time.

i'll think about it but probably will take it as hand luggage just to be on the safe side,just that i find the idea a nuisance.

can always grab a trolley and wheel the thing around to avoid having to carry it.

thanks for your opinions.

Bring it with you.

You may find that with free wifi at most airports you could kill some time having the laptop.

You could also type up a Trip Report - that'll kill some time for you too - cut and paste later.

I agree that putting your laptop in checked in baggage could turn out to be very bad thing to do especially if you download all your photos onto it.

more expense........... :doah:

i normally just have a carrier bag as hand luggage.

i do have a rucksack(which i pack in hold baggage for those days out)but too small and will have to buy a larger one to accomodate the laptop :(

but i've taken on board what more seasoned travellers have said as an opinion and i think i will take their advice.

i have no problem with photos as i always get then downloaded to a DVD before i come home(my daytime bar will do it for at a price of 300bt for every 300 pix)and i always put them onto memory sticks just in case of accidents.

i know problems may happen while in transit...theft/loss of luggage and while i have never encountered anything like this in my flying history,but you never know.

Archived