How To Save On That Appalling Bar Tab

gobbledonk

OK, I'm mining Stick again, but this takes the freakin' cake ....

A reader reckons he has seen the ultimate Cheap Charlie in Pattaya. He was being a Cheap Charlie himself, drinking 50 baht Tiger beers at his favourite beer bar on Second Road near the Dolphin roundabout when a guy walks up to the bar with a large Leo Beer and asks the bartender to open it. They did so for the princely sum of 10 baht. Maybe it would be cheaper to buy your own in Pattaya and take them along to your favourite watering hole?!

Seriously ? It must be one serious low season for them to agree to this. Makes me ashamed to be a Farang. :banghead:

I save on booze by poisoning myself one day, then not moving for the next two...

I hear ya, coss - the number of times I've done that really does frighten me. I'd imagine that you have most of the dirty water out of your system by now, and ready to move on to monogamy in the monotony-known-as-Vientiane ? :stirthepo

(cheer up - based on some of Fiery Jack's anecdotes, you and I are amateur drinkers. His blood type is 'O-No!')

OK, I'm mining Stick again, but this takes the freakin' cake ....

A reader reckons he has seen the ultimate Cheap Charlie in Pattaya. He was being a Cheap Charlie himself, drinking 50 baht Tiger beers at his favourite beer bar on Second Road near the Dolphin roundabout when a guy walks up to the bar with a large Leo Beer and asks the bartender to open it. They did so for the princely sum of 10 baht. Maybe it would be cheaper to buy your own in Pattaya and take them along to your favourite watering hole?!

Seriously ? It must be one serious low season for them to agree to this. Makes me ashamed to be a Farang. :banghead:

I used to watch an India man sit with a bunch of beer in the food court of Robinsons and drank. He used to do this every day.

He would buy his beer at the super market and drank it in the food court.

I used to watch an India man sit with a bunch of beer in the food court of Robinsons and drank. He used to do this every day.

He would buy his beer at the super market and drank it in the food court.

OK - Robinsons dont depend on beer sales for their profits, bars do. No surprises that he would be an Indian, though ... home to some of the richest men in the world and some of the tightest.

Stick also mentioned a bar owner who had a stroke of genius and, instead of hiring BGs, lures freelancers to the bar with a SomTam stand. Our mate with the '10 baht corkage' would definitely make himself at home at a joint like that - all he needs is a sleeping bag. Cant wait for the paperback - 'Naughty Nightlife in Thailand on 50p a day !'.

Given the number of Cheap Charlies this board has played host to over the years, I think we might just have found a new low.

OK - Robinsons dont depend on beer sales for their profits, bars do. No surprises that he would be an Indian, though ... home to some of the richest men in the world and some of the tightest.

Stick also mentioned a bar owner who had a stroke of genius and, instead of hiring BGs, lures freelancers to the bar with a SomTam stand. Our mate with the '10 baht corkage' would definitely make himself at home at a joint like that - all he needs is a sleeping bag. Cant wait for the paperback - 'Naughty Nightlife in Thailand on 50p a day !'.

Given the number of Cheap Charlies this board has played host to over the years, I think we might just have found a new low.

while i have no problem with buying drinks for friends i do get annoyed with them at times.

in one bar will buy each member of staff one drink a day,but when they start going on at me all day to buy drinks i soon stop buying.

the more they badger me the quicker i stop even talking to them,let alone buy a drink.

and i did get a bit annoyed with my last gal at times when she would keep ordering drinks for herself without telling me and leaving me with the bill.

i soon realised what she was doing and had stern words with her and afterwards she would always ask if she could another drink.

i never refused her as it's polite to ask and not just take and take the piss.

i've never been a cheap charlie but see no point in buying drinks for 2/3 strange ladies(not friends)i have no intention of taking out the bar after the duration of my stay in that bar.

sometimes i just want a quiet drink and cannot be bothered with all the hassle.

i know they are trying to earn money for the bar/themselves and get a drink and that's part of the job but if they don't understand my POV then i just give up and walk away.

on my first trips i thought nothing of spending 5-6,000bt a night having the attention of several ladies but then realising i had only drunk 3-4 drinks myself.............what a waste.

i may sound cheap but these days i am more frugal and more selective as to who gets a drink.

on my first trips i thought nothing of spending 5-6,000bt a night having the attention of several ladies but then realising i had only drunk 3-4 drinks myself.............what a waste.

i may sound cheap but these days i am more frugal and more selective as to who gets a drink.

I hear ya. Sat down on the weekend and worked out that I spend less in Oz in 2011 than I did in my 3 months in LOS in 2008, and that was living in an apartment costing 11K baht a month. I had money and I spent it, as Flash recently described Blackie's spending habits, 'as though it had a use-by date'.

Even on subsequent trips, I was much less inclined to blithely hand over a thousand baht note : just like a fifty dollar bill in Oz, once you break that thing its gone. The only time it pissed me off was when they handed me a 7k baht bill after an afternoon's drinking at Cowboy - I watch that bill like a hawk now.

(Its ironic that many of the same expats who berated sex tourists like myself for spending 'too much' (guilty, your lordship) now bang on about how miserably cheap the Indians are in places like Patts. I guess there's no pleasing some of us :clown: )

I hear ya. Sat down on the weekend and worked out that I spend less in Oz in 2011 than I did in my 3 months in LOS in 2008, and that was living in an apartment costing 11K baht a month. I had money and I spent it, as Flash recently described Blackie's spending habits, 'as though it had a use-by date'.

Even on subsequent trips, I was much less inclined to blithely hand over a thousand baht note : just like a fifty dollar bill in Oz, once you break that thing its gone. The only time it pissed me off was when they handed me a 7k baht bill after an afternoon's drinking at Cowboy - I watch that bill like a hawk now.

(Its ironic that many of the same expats who berated sex tourists like myself for spending 'too much' (guilty, your lordship) now bang on about how miserably cheap the Indians are in places like Patts. I guess there's no pleasing some of us :clown: )

experience teaches you a lot.

if you live in the country and earn good wages then maybe affordable to splash out.

but a tourist on a budget has to be careful.

i will be going on my next trip with 10,000bt to spend each day.

that will include BF,(a negotiated price for any ladies)drinks,food,and a few days out whenever i wish.

i will carry that amount on me at the start of the day and when it's gone,then that's it..........off to sleep.

if i have a lady or not when i go to the hotel alone do'es not bother me.

if ladies want too much i will walk away knowing i can get a freelancer 3-4 hours later for 500bt.

i'm getting old now and sadly have to say the drink/atmosphere is more fun than shagging 2-3 times a day.

I ran into an Aussie in KL who lamented that '$200 goes nowhere on a night out in KL !', and sadly he was right. He told me about his farewell party from the PI and it certainly sounds attractive till you consider the difference in the standard of living between Cebu and KL. Your 10K baht would still buy you a very good time in KL, but that comes out at 300K a month - dont know how many board members are pulling down that kind of money.

I ran into an Aussie in KL who lamented that '$200 goes nowhere on a night out in KL !', and sadly he was right. He told me about his farewell party from the PI and it certainly sounds attractive till you consider the difference in the standard of living between Cebu and KL. Your 10K baht would still buy you a very good time in KL, but that comes out at 300K a month - dont know how many board members are pulling down that kind of money.

i see the point.

as a tourist i have to have a budget because things can soon get out of control.

my last gal asked for 1500bt LT,but after i spent much bt on paying for her to leave the bar for many days i made a deal with her for 800bt per 24 hours.

for that i was with her 24/7 and while still spending on drinks and food i was still mainly in pocket each day.

i can easily have quiet days/nights and spend little cash but the drinks i buy for others up the cash spent.

but i decide who gets a drink and that keeps the price down.............but.

if you have a lady for a long time they soon realise what they can take you for and that's when it gets expensive.

but luckily i will have my budget but i will also have 3 times that much available from an ATM if i need a little extra.

Archived