Best Friend and Siren Beer Bars in Pattaya

Belem

During my last trip to Pattaya in Feb/Mar., I went to the Best Friend Beer Bar complex on Beach Road and the Siren Beer Bar complex on Beach Road right before you get to Walking Street. In past years, I thought these bars had some of the most beautiful bar girls in Pattaya and were my favorite places hang out. The drink prices I encountered on my last trip, however, leave a lot to be desired. 85 baht for a Heineken, 120 baht for a Jack and Coke, 60 baht for a Cola, and 110 baht for a lady drink. That's outrageous!!! I can understand an air-conditioned beer bar like the Pussy Galore charging premium prices because of the overhead they have, but these bars are little more than counter tops. What's going on here? I think some people have gotten downright greedy.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow, thanks for this report Belem. I haven't been to Pattaya since Sept. and I was unaware the prices had gone up like this.

I used to always visit Best Friends #16 as it is owned by a former asfoer, Fossil, and usually has a fun group of girls on-hand. As I recall, the ladies' drink prices were about 80 baht and 70 baht for a Carlsberg. I wonder if all of the beer bars in the Best Friends complex have the same prices?

Lucky, you out there???

BTW, Pussy Galore is one of my favorite spots in Pattaya. Always lots of fun there, and, as you said, the place has a/c too!

Will give a report on prices at Best Friends next week, as we are going to Pattaya for the weekend and always stop in. Not sure what number bar we go to, one next to boxing ring on the right going in.

I really couldn't tell you what the beer or LD's were before, I never paid any attention.

Interesting. I know after each muay Thai match they pass the hat and ask for contributions. Other than that, I'm not sure if the bars have to kick in for the boxing entertainment.

If the prices have indeed been inflated as mentioned, I would tend to skip the steamy beer bars during the hot/rainy season.

Best friend bar is certainly one of the better places to go, due to its closeness of bars and alot of pretty willing ladies to choose from. The only down side to it is that you can quiet easily get ingrossed in the boxing and time runs away from you, and the smart punters like everywhere else snap up the good ones, sort of like the quick or the dead.

As for the boxing the fights are pretty much staged most of the time, some are broken down fighters, some have really never been trained before, but it is a facination of the farang world so they accomodate. Yes the fighters come round after the fight, and you feel compelled to give them ten or so baht, this is all they get paid. The bars chip in a little each night for the upkeep of the ring and facilities, and yes what is left over goes to the so call trainers of the fighters. But it certainly is a fun night, if you sit at the right bars you can have fun with the girls, and watch the fights at the same time. The fun stuff is more when the drunken farangs get in to the ring, and take on some of the thai boxers(generally once a month on a friday night).

They also have (On Friday nights, I think) a "junior" night when the kids get in the ring. I don't think they are staged at all. Actually had a farang kid, about 12, in one of them. He got his ass seriously kicked. It was just a fad with him, whereas the Thai kids are really serious about as it can be a ticket out. Somewhat like basketball in the US inner cities.

TH

The fights I saw in Best Friend didn't seem staged, it also did seem that the fighters were fighting to win on points or whatever. The fights weren't bad but not real bloody. Started with kids as young as 12 and moved up to the "Main Event" which was a rather big and in shape Farang from England vs a Thai from BKK. The story that I heard was the Farang had beaten several Thais from Pattaya and this guy from BKK had been brought in. To make a long story short the Farang delivered a few pretty serious blows (he was out for blood) to which the Thai backed off smiled that Thai smile and slowly winded the Farang and won on points or what ever. As you can imagine this pissed of most of the English but the bar girls cheered. I think I saw some money passing between the farangs to the bar girls. Maybe bets were being paid off, or maybe the farangs just decided it was time to pay up for the night???

Hi!

In reply to:

[color:green]I wonder if all of the beer bars in the Best Friends complex have the same prices?color=green>

I know a Bloke that was involved in one of the bars in the back row some years ago. He told me that they payed much lower rent than the bars around the boxing ring and along Beach rd. I think he mentioned something like 13000-15000 baht for a bar in the back and over 50000 for a ringside or Beach road bars.

The whole area is (was?) owned by Chinese businessmen in BKK and I don't think the bars had to chip in anything for the boxing. They only payed key money and monthly rent for the bars.

Naturally the bars in the back should be able to compete with lower prices due to lower overhead.

regards

ALHOLK

Archived