Jobs On Adobe Flash Player

Julian2

On previous threads I noted criticism of tablets like iPad because they couldn't use Flash Player and found this statement from Steve Jobs.

Steve Jobs: Why Apple Does Not Allow Flash on iPhones, iPods, iPads

Steve Jobs has clarified why Apple does not allow Flash on iPhones, iPods, iPads. This hopefully clarifies all issues in mind of Apple product users, Apple critics and Adobe Flash fans.

Adobe recently pointed out that “Apple released a new draft of their iPhone developer program license which had the effect of restricting applications built with a number of technologies, including Unity, Titanium, MonoTouch, and Flash CS5″.

Then Kevin Lynch, Adobe CTO revealed that they “have already decided to shift our focus away from Apple’s iPhone and iPad devices for both Flash Player and AIR. We are working to bring Flash Player and AIR to all the other major participants in the mobile ecosystem, including Google, RIM, Palm (soon to be HP), Microsoft, Nokia and others.â€

Now Steve Jobs replies point wise why Apple will not support Flash. Here we quote a few excerpts from his statement -

1. While Adobe’s Flash products are widely available, this does not mean they are open, since they are controlled entirely by Adobe and available only from Adobe. By almost any definition, Flash is a closed system…. Rather than use Flash, Apple has adopted HTML5, CSS and JavaScript – all open standards.

2. Adobe has repeatedly said that Apple mobile devices cannot access “the full web†because 75% of video on the web is in Flash. What they don’t say is that almost all this video is also available in a more modern format, H.264, and viewable on iPhones, iPods and iPads.

3. Symantec recently highlighted Flash for having one of the worst security records in 2009. We also know first hand that Flash is the number one reason Macs crash. We have been working with Adobe to fix these problems, but they have persisted for several years now.

4. To achieve long battery life when playing video, mobile devices must decode the video in hardware; decoding it in software uses too much power. Many of the chips used in modern mobile devices contain a decoder called H.264….Although Flash has recently added support for H.264, the video on almost all Flash websites currently requires an older generation decoder that is not implemented in mobile chips and must be run in software.

5. Flash was designed for PCs using mice, not for touch screens using fingers. For example, many Flash websites rely on “rolloversâ€, which pop up menus or other elements when the mouse arrow hovers over a specific spot. Apple’s revolutionary multi-touch interface doesn’t use a mouse, and there is no concept of a rollover.

6. Flash is a cross platform development tool. It is not Adobe’s goal to help developers write the best iPhone, iPod and iPad apps. It is their goal to help developers write cross platform apps. And Adobe has been painfully slow to adopt enhancements to Apple’s platforms.

Basically Steve Jobs wants to suggest that the mobile era is about low power devices, touch interfaces and open web standards where Flash falls short. 200,000 Apple Store Apps proves Flash isn’t necessary for developers to create rich applications and games and creating HTML5 tools is the future.

http://www.quickonlinetips.com/archives/2010/05/why-no-flash-on-apple-iphone-ipod-ipad/

Hi,

That first point is bloody hypocritical :)

Sanuk!

Indeed. Just try to use your iPhone and iMac without iTunes...

A company which controls the hardware as well as OS as well as essential software - and which doesn't even license its OS to others - is a closed as it can be.

If Apple wouldn't have offered superior products in the past decade the company would have been gone by now. But this of course shows Job's genius. Any other company wouldn't have survived playing hardball with hardware makers, software programmers, the music industry, the telco's and sometimes the customers (no floppy drive, no Flash, e.g.).

And Microsoft and Windows haven't tried to monopolise the industry?

I think Jobs just offered a viable alternative for the more discerning computer user.

As a member of the rabble I'd never buy many of Apple's products but I might consider an iPad if my mother gave me the money. B)

Hi,

"And Microsoft and Windows haven't tried to monopolise the industry?"

Slightly different situation as Windows runs on a lot of different hardware. Want to upgrade your gfx card? Sure, no problem, just get the brand you like. Add another harddisk? Sure, which brand?

With Apple you are usually restricted to using only Apple products.

As for 'more discerning computer user', more like less tech savvy, more fashion concious user :)

Sanuk!

Hi,

"And Microsoft and Windows haven't tried to monopolise the industry?"

Slightly different situation as Windows runs on a lot of different hardware. Want to upgrade your gfx card? Sure, no problem, just get the brand you like. Add another harddisk? Sure, which brand?

With Apple you are usually restricted to using only Apple products.

As for 'more discerning computer user', more like less tech savvy, more fashion concious user :)

Sanuk!

I think I am tech savvy, but fashion conscious computer user. I know all basics of computing, like setting up new systems on Win/OSX, setting up networks, PC security and maintenance, e.g.. Nevertheless I had frequently trouble with Windows PCs over the years, viruses, trouble with security software (blocking Ports e.g.), installing a printer in a network (before the WiFi printer came out), cumbersome backup procederes, e.g., e.g..

Moving the whole office to Mac was such a huge relieve. Security and maintenance problems vanished immediately, iMacs find each other in the local network automatically, Time machine does perfect backups without the need of constant care. e.g.

It is right the initial costs for Macs are higher, and the selection of software is much smaller (especially in regard to financial software) and I can't boost an iMac by installing hardware of my choosing, but in the end the advantages outweigh the disadvantages by far for a non geeky user like me.

The HD of my iMac recently crashed. It's the Mac with all essential company data. With a PC I would have to install all the software and settings again, which usually takes around 8-10 hours. When the iMac came back repaired, I booted it, connected it to Time Machine and let it copy all software, settings and data over night. The next morning I just lost two hours, since the repair shop hadn't installed the latest OS (Lion had just come out) and I had to do an upgrade manually. But this was nothing compared to the trouble I had with PCs before.

Hi,

So, if Macs are so perfect, why isn't everyone using them?

Sorry, but I just don't buy this "It just works" crap.

My business partner has had to use a Mac for several months now and he despises it. Complete nightmare to work - and especially - code on according to him.

Guess it is mostly about what you are used to.

Sanuk!

Hi,

So, if Macs are so perfect, why isn't everyone using them?

Sorry, but I just don't buy this "It just works" crap.

My business partner has had to use a Mac for several months now and he despises it. Complete nightmare to work - and especially - code on according to him.

Guess it is mostly about what you are used to.

Sanuk!

5. Flash was designed for PCs using mice, not for touch screens using fingers. For example, many Flash websites rely on “rolloversâ€, which pop up menus or other elements when the mouse arrow hovers over a specific spot. Apple’s revolutionary multi-touch interface doesn’t use a mouse, and there is no concept of a rollover.

Well my Samsung Galaxy 10.1 tablet with touch screen using fingers supports Flash and works great. No mouse...

Archived