We’Ll Mock Jesus But Not Mohammed, Says Bbc Boss

Flashermac

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's very important to mock religion. Not to mock the people who follow religions--they're deluded, so in a way they're not responsible for their actions (okay, to an extent...).

But it's very, very important to tear apart the symbols and defile the "holy" tenets of every religion, for doing so helps to take a little of their power away...power which has done horrible, horrible things to the people of the world. A crucifix in piss, a cartoon of Mohammed with a pig head, Buddha on underwear, Indian gods on beer labels...it's all essential and very important work (well, I look a little less kindly on the last two examples because they make money for someone, and Capitalism is at least as evil as religion...).

Why would someone (like a news service) mock Xianity and not Islam, though? Very simple: the answer is in the scene in Star Wars when C-3P0 asks Han Solo why R2D2 should be afraid of beating Chewbacca fair-and-square at that chess-type game they're playing (god, I'm a nerd)...because "Wookies are known to rip people's arms out of their sockets for beating them at a game." Well, Muslims are known to brutally murder those who mock Islam. So while yes, it must be mocked and defiled, one must proceed cautiously.

It's very important to mock religion. Not to mock the people who follow religions--they're deluded, so in a way they're not responsible for their actions (okay, to an extent...).

But it's very, very important to tear apart the symbols and defile the "holy" tenets of every religion, for doing so helps to take a little of their power away...power which has done horrible, horrible things to the people of the world. A crucifix in piss, a cartoon of Mohammed with a pig head, Buddha on underwear, Indian gods on beer labels...it's all essential and very important work (well, I look a little less kindly on the last two examples because they make money for someone, and Capitalism is at least as evil as religion...).

Why would someone (like a news service) mock Xianity and not Islam, though? Very simple: the answer is in the scene in Star Wars when C-3P0 asks Han Solo why R2D2 should be afraid of beating Chewbacca fair-and-square at that chess-type game they're playing (god, I'm a nerd)...because "Wookies are known to rip people's arms out of their sockets for beating them at a game." Well, Muslims are known to brutally murder those who mock Islam. So while yes, it must be mocked and defiled, one must proceed cautiously.

Hear, hear.. an excellent post.

Islam is a load of bollox along with Christianity, Judaism, Hinduism, and the rest... the opium of the masses.

As you say, it happens to have more than its fair share of fanatical violent loonies, so best not to rattle their cage too much.

Who cares whether you burn a copy of the Koran, especially when it was supposedly used to convey messages between prisoners, but Realpolitik suggests dont do it, or at least be more discreet about it, especially if it gets NATO personnel killed.

This youtube is almost as good as ratchada's post

Why does faith deserve respect?

:beer:

But it's very, very important to tear apart the symbols and defile the "holy" tenets of every religion, for doing so helps to take a little of their power away...power which has done horrible, horrible things to the people of the world.

I disagree. It is NOT important at all to mock a religion. It is ok to disagree with a religion's tenets. Not all followers are "delusional". In fact, I'd guess that those who have, in modern times, contributed to the most suffering in the world have been delusional atheists. For atheists have only themselves and their own code of conduct and "ethics" to hold them to account. Religious groups have probably done MORE positive initiatives for humanity than any other single institution you can think of. Atheists are probably less tolerant (more bigoted) than most people who have an association with a religion. Just on this board, we can read evidence of this. I am quite certain that there are a lot of folks here who profess some association with a religion; but, you don't hear them mocking our resident atheists or trying to convert anybody.

HH

In the middle of the forest, the hunter was confronted by a huge, scary, mean bear. Shook by fear, his attempts to

shoot the bear were unsuccessful. So, he turned and ran. Fast as he could.

He ran and ran and ran, until he was cornered at the edge of a very steep cliff. Hopes were dim. Seeing no way out of the predicament, with the bear closing in rather quick, the hunter got down on his knees and exclaimed, "Dear Lord! Please give this bear some RELIGION!" The sky grew dark. Lightning flashed. And a just a meter short of the hunter, the bear came to an abrupt stop, then glanced around, somewhat confused.

And then it happened. Suddenly, the bear bowed in reverence, looked up into the sky, and said "Thank you God, for the food I'm about to receive...."

<< In fact, I'd guess that those who have, in modern times, contributed to the most suffering in the world have been delusional atheists. >>

post-98-0-39021700-1330767996.jpg

haha, point well taken, and plenty of food for thought, but keep in mind that the thousands who perished in the Sept. 2011 attacks in the US, and all of the Palestinians brutally murdered by Israel over the years, just to cite a few examples, might disagree with you...

Archived