Night Spots To Close April 8-10 For Princess' Funeral

elef

Night entertainment venues will be asked to suspend their businesses from April 8-10 during the funeral of Her Royal Highness Princess Bejaratana, while other private enterprises will be asked to fly national flags at half-mast on their premises, PM's Office permanent secretary Thongthong Chandrangsu said yesterday.

Television and radio broadcasts should air programmes or content considered appropriate during the three-day period, he added.

The Nation

I haven't been in Thailand the last 3½ year, but I can tell you old-time procedure. If something changed - sure it will be mentioned.

In theory whole Thailand, but smaller cities far away from Bangkok - not so much.

Bangkok - Cowboy, Nana, Patpong will be closed - especially all gogos. Maybe a few bars in SC and PP will be open secretly. Other bars same as Pattaya.

Pattaya - gogos closed, many bars will be open, soft light, no beer and no music. But you can probably get vodka in your soft drink. A few bars will sell beer in coffee mugs at least to old customers.

Phuket - same as Pattaya???

Worse is that maybe 50 % or more of BGs will go home to Isaan or CM/CR. Also bad for tourist going to Thailand over Eastern

Pattaya - gogos closed, many bars will be open, soft light, no beer and no music. But you can probably get vodka in your soft drink. A few bars will sell beer in coffee mugs at least to old customers.

Phuket - same as Pattaya???

not in the same category as a royal funeral,on election days on Phuket bars closed or alcohol was banned.

regulars in certain bars had beer poured into coca-cola bottles or spirits mixed with soft drinks.

i saw many tourists walk away from bars when told no alcohol on sale.

and as you say bars have other ways of gettibg around things.

during the curfew period in 2010 my regular bar would close it doors/pull gown the shutters and serve regulars for hours after they were suooossed to close.

the police did'nt seem to mind as bars kept a low profile.

business people will usually find some way of 'bending'

the rules/law.

I didn't realise most private enterprises had masts to fly flags from. :hmmm:

For those who don't know, the princess was the only child of King Rama VI, and was King Bhumibol's first cousin. Still, she was aged and had been out of public sight for a long time. I'm sure people respect her and are sorry she is gone, but I don't expect this will be that big an event outside of the capital city.

For those who don't know, the princess was the only child of King Rama VI, and was King Bhumibol's first cousin. Still, she was aged and had been out of public sight for a long time. I'm sure people respect her and are sorry she is gone, but I don't expect this will be that big an event outside of the capital city.

yes and she was born on the day her father King Rama VI died; he died just hours after his only daughter was born

Songkran from 12. - 14. will also be dry this year! that's what the new government suggests to avoid a high blood toll on the roads due to drunken driving!

Actually Songkran is 13-15 and since 15 is on Sunday Monday 16 is also a Public Holiday

Good Try HT

Actually Songkran is 13-15 and since 15 is on Sunday Monday 16 is also a Public Holiday

Good Try HT

As Mekong already said Songkran (don't say Songkram as many do as that means war) is 13-15 of April. It's the old thai new year - so it will never change. (Like saying that our new year can vary from December 29 to january 2.)

Archived