tailor recommendation?

Ikaika

There is a place called World Group LTD. near the Oriental Hotel, you pass it walking from the skytrain to the Oriental. I know a guy in the USA who is in the vintage clothes rental business, this place does a lot of work for him, including near exact duplications. I had some stuff done there on the last trip (shirt pants) and was pleased. Not cheap by BKK standards, but the quality was good-excellent, and the cost was about 1/3 of the USA price. The clientele is pretty upscale and demanding. They ecourage you to look everything over, so as to avoid disappointment. And if it is not 100% right, they fix it without argument or BS.

Rajawongse (Jesse and Victor) recommended already has a good reputation.

Another with a big expat (local and visitors) clientele - high proportion US - is Raja Fashion on Sukhumvit Soi 4 - just past the entrance to the Plaza. Open to 8.00 pm.

Prices very good (in my opinion) and can produce in a week or so if necessary. If you go you will get a free beer - or as they prefer to say an expensive beer with a free suit.

Ask for Bobby.

"if you are talking about the Indian tailors in the tourist areas: they target tourists, Thais don't go there. Guess why? Because generally they have a reputation for bad workmanship, not worth the price. "

Spot on.

Go to Chinatown buy your material.(The quality is up to you)

A Thai tailor will make a trousers for 250B and a shirt for 200b.

They make it for the tourist shops anyway.

If you are nervous of doing this.

Get one article made in the tourist shop and if you are happy with the design/fit give to the Thai tailor.

You will save a lot of money and have better quality material.

There is very nice trousers cloth available from 200b/400b per meter.Off course it depends on the size of your ass.

If the Paki/Indian/Sikh says it took 2 m,you can safely assume,when you are buying the cloth that 1.5m is enough.

I would be nervous of trying to get a smartly designed suit this way,but for shirts and trousers ...no problem.

I second khwaimaisabai's recommendation of Raja's on Soi Nana.. literally next door from NEP and across from Nana Hotel's parking lot... I have all of my suits and shirts made by them.. I've used tailors in HK and even Japan before.. IMHO Raja's is excellent.. Are there other that may be as good or even better?? perhaps.. All I know is that Raja's has never done me "wrong"...

--UPSer

smile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gif

• 2 weeks later...

And I'll third it. I have had suits, trousers and shirts made at Raja's fashions and the quaility is excellent. One particular suit I had made a couple of years ago cost me about 9000baht. You can buy for alot cheaper in other places, but this suit is still going strong and everytime I wear it people always make remarks about how good it looks. Bobby, the guy who works there (I think he's the owner) is very helpful. The place is always full so don't be put off by the wait if you decide to go there.

• 2 weeks later...

I would agree with you on that one, the Indian tailors all get there stuff contracted out to sweat shops out of town. They know bugger all about materials and measurement. BTW the material you see in the shops will certainly not end up to be the material in your suit. Further away from the tourist area's the Thai tailors are a different matter in that many do the tailoring on their premises or at least under their control. But I have never had a sucessful suit/ shirt made here, I mean they all look OK when you take them out the shop but they have ended up just being a waste of money for me primarily I suspect because the materials used in the tailoring just aren't up to it. Everything goes saggy and baggy, stitching starts to fall apart. I gave up on THai tailoring years ago, so maybe things have changed, but I just doubt it.

• 1 year later...

I use Central Tailor on 182 Silom Road . Its run by a young Chinese lady, with an older Chinese lady doing the tailoring. I have had 6 suits made there. This coming February, I will have 3 suits made of material that I bought in Ireland, including handwoven Irish Tweed. Each suit will have a vest and two pairs of pants for $250. Not a bargain but I have never gotten a bad suit from her.

Archived