For Those Considering Blackberry

I would note that there is not a single mention of the evil Huawei or Foxconn (Apple OEM) in this tale of woe. Seems these guys are failing all on their ownsome.

Blackberry to become Sackberry

BLACKBERRY-maker Research in Motion has hired a team of bankers to help it weigh its options as its business erodes in the face of an exodus to the iPhone and Android smartphones.

RIM issued a dire warning about its business Tuesday, saying it is losing money for the second-consecutive quarter and will lay off a "significant" number of employees.

The company based in Waterloo, Ontario said it has hired J.P. Morgan and RBC Capital Markets to help it evaluate its options. Those including partnering with other companies, licensing software and overhauling its business, it said.

RIM made no mention of selling of the company. But new Chief Executive Thorsten Heins did not rule that out after RIM's last earnings report in late March. Colin Gillis, an analyst with BGC Financial, said the company is in a downward slide that's not slowing. He said he doesn't see any buyers for RIM coming forward soon.

"Unfortunately, it falls into the too little, too late category," Gillis said. "It doesn't mean somebody won't try it. It doesn't mean it's going to be a savior for the company either." The statement from RIM did not detail the coming layoffs, other than to say the company expects "significant spending reductions and headcount reductions in some areas throughout the remainder of the year." Jefferies analyst Peter Misek said he expects RIM to announce as many as 5,000 layoffs soon. The company has about 16,500 employees now after cutting 2,000 jobs in July.

Somehow does not surprise me. Not a lot of people would be buying it for the 'security' reasons, but more for functions and snob appeal.

When my son came all agog with his BB (think it was the basic model) I compared the features with my then 1-year old Nokia N97 mini. The Nokia had a better camera (and flash!), the flip-out keyboard keys were bigger than the chiclet-sized keys on the BB and screen size also better. Also had a touch screen (resistive, but still)...

Plus you needed a special BB package to even run the thing..

I was not impressed and told him so.

E-mail security was what made the Blackberry the phone of choice for corporations. Now that Apple can pretty much match that security, the Blackberry’ days are numbered. It took our IT folks about 2 years to get the iPhone to same level as the Blackberry, now that they have, most people when given the choice pick the iPhone.

I give RIM a couple of years at the most and then it will be picked apart for the patents and go away.

TH

bb pin lol. whats that all about? :sleeping:

BB pretty much lost the technology game 2-3 years ago, but amazingly has been able to do some marketing rave/wonders around Asia till this day typically on their 'female sized chat boards'! what a bunch of crap that is so they wont be missed even a few stupid buyers will take a while still to realize that :banghead:

bb pin lol. whats that all about? :sleeping:

BB pretty much lost the technology game 2-3 years ago,

The same happened to Nokia. Nokia once the biggest mobile phone company of the world lost huge chunks of the market since the introduction of the smartphones.

Nokia had a couple of sought-after models a couple of years back when it became apparent to head-fiers that the sound quality wasnt half bad - they were known as 'the music phone'. Tbe big problem for any of the phone makers trying to exploit that market is the sheer weight of numbers behind Apple - you can get wireless dongles to plug into get from people like Cambridge Audio that will let you stream the music on your phone straight to your stereo. You just lie on the couch with a beer and a pizza listening to Britney (!) tell you she did it again. :clown:

Archived