Olympics

sayjann

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here ya go:

<< Paul Kershaw, a coach at the St Paul Boxing Academy in England, watched the bout from ringside and said Kaew should have won by three points.

"He was getting better and better in every round while the Chinese faded," he said.

"To me, he is 100% the champion and more than 10,000 fans in the stadium witnessed it." >>

I don't recall the US boxers ever winning bizarre decisions because of the US's influence. Nor have I heard of the US, UK etc entering underaged gymnasts with faked IDs. France? Germany? Not even Russian have done that. China plays be different rules.

The most controversial sport

Judging from the 2012 Olympics, boxing is now the most controversial sport beating taekwondo for the unwanted honours.

While the taekwondo tournament was smooth with few complaints, the boxing competition was hit by a large number of protests leading to several overturned decisions.

On Saturday, Thai boxer Kaew Pongprayoon lost 13-10 to China's defending champion Zou Shiming.

The crowd at London's ExCel Arena jeered the result while Kaew wept in the ring.

"I feel that I won and I could see that the crowd thought I won. I don't know why I lost," the 32-year-old said.

"I think the scoring system at the Olympics is wrong or strange - not just my fight but others didn't go the way they should have."

Virtually the whole Thailand cried foul, saying "Kaew was robbed."

Over three rounds, Kaew might have done a bit better than the Chinese but the contest was close and could have gone either way.

Kaew's 13-12 win over Russian David Ayrapetyan in the semi-finals was also a close call and could have gone either way.

There have been several other bouts which were more controversial than Kaew's final against Zou.

American Roy Jones Jr completely outboxed South Korea's Park Si-Hun in the final at the 1988 Seoul Olympics. But Jones lost 3-2 with three judges scoring in favour of the Korean.

That wayward decision almost led to boxing being axed from the Olympics. It forced the International [Amateur] Boxing Association (Aiba) to introduce a computerised scoring system.

At the 1996 Atlanta Olympics, the US cried foul at Floyd Mayweather Jr's 10-9 defeat against Serafim Todorov of Bulgaria in the semi-finals. The US team protested but the result stood.

Jones went on to win several world professional boxing titles, while Mayweather is regarded as the current best pound-for-pound fighter.

Facing Todorov in the final instead of Mayweather, Somluck had an easier task and became Thailand's first-ever Olympic champion.

Gen Taweep Jantararoj, president of the now-defunct Amateur Boxing Association of Thailand (Abat), may know better than anyone about biased decisions.

Taweep, then Thailand's amateur boxing chief, criticised the officiating at the 2008 Beijing Games. He later was punished by Aiba which outlawed Abat last year. :closemouth:

"To become successful, you not only need your boxers' skills but also good relations with the authorities," Taweep said before the London Games.

Abat was replaced by the Thailand Boxing Assocation (TBA) last year with Gen Boonlert Kaewprasit being elected unopposed as its first president.

Boonlert was new to the Olympics. However, he met Aiba president Wu Ching-kuo in Bangkok during an Aiba meeting ahead of the 2012 Games.

He might have thought that he had done enough for his boxers to win a gold medal that he promised to step down as TBA chief if his men failed to achieve the feat in London. He was wrong and refused to talk to Wu after Kaew's loss.

Gen Boonlert may now know how to win an Olympic boxing gold medal. Unfortunately, he may not have another chance to do it as he is quitting as TBA president.

Wu said during the London Games that his association expects to replace the sport's computerised scoring system with the traditional professional judging system before the 2016 Olympics.

He said he wants Olympic boxing to look more like the pro game. Aiba intends to move to the pros' 10-point scoring system, which takes into account every aspect of fighters' skills.

But whichever scoring system is used, boxing will often be controversial as long as other factors are not less important than boxers' skills.

My link

Congratulations to Team UK - good to see some joy in these difficult times. Now, please, take Ian 'Dicko' Dickson back ....

On a totally different aspect of the games, I wondered whether North and South Korea ever met in Taekwondo, and if there were, ahem, fireworks as a result. Predictably, the 'Naughty' Koreans only practice the hardcore 'martial art' TKD and leave the sporting form to thier (inferior) Southern cousins.

My link

North Korea has never competed in Olympic Taekwondo because they practice a different "style" of taekwondo as promoted by the International Taekwondo Federation (ITF), as opposed to "Olympic/WTF style" sport taekwondo, which is sanctioned by the World Taekwondo Federation (WTF... yes you read that right).

As with many things involving North Korea, politics plays a huge part in the reason why North Korea has not adopted WTF-style taekwondo.

History and Politics

Contrary to popular belief, taekwondo in its modern form is a very modern martial art. Though it is true that modern-day taekwondo took in a lot of influences from the many ancient Korean martial arts (as well as a lot influences from Japanese Karate), it is effectively a modern invention (post Korean War). Therefore, when the Korean peninsula was split after World War II, neither North nor South Korea actually *knew* of taekwondo because it actually did not even exist yet. Various other Korean martial art forms existed, but not taekwondo as we know it today.

Gotta love politics - I guess fans of bloodsport will have to wait for the next Cold War and a rematch of the infamous 80's water polo match between the US and USSR teams.

The 2012 Olympics are now finished after a fantastic closing ceremony. UK finished a fantastic 3rd. :up::up::up:

not as good as the opening ceremony IMO.

got a little bored with the music celebration but i did like the parade of athletes and the look of joy on their faces as they watched the show from the middle of the arena was making me feel happy.

thought the lighting show all around the arena was fantastic at times.

but overall the whole 2 weeks was a great advert for the country,a job well done allround.... :up:

It was indeed a good advert for the country. Soon you should see even bigger crowds of North Africans, Middle Easterners etc coming to live in your county. :surprised:

And any who cant get on a plane are welcome to fly to Indonesia - from there, the Australian taxpayer will house them in purpose-built facilities on Nauru, Malaysia and Xmas Island indefinitely.

http://www.news.com.au/national/opposition-claims-victory-on-asylum-seekers-will-back-nauru-plan/story-fndo4eg9-1226449752006

I've said it before, but the solution was always right in front of us. Outsource the whole thing to a privately run company in Isaan, generate jobs for the locals and make it abundantly clear to anyone trying to get to Oz illegally that the price of admission is five years behind barbed wire in rural Thailand. Anyone who still signs on with the people smugglers must, by definition, be genuinely in fear of their lives and not simply economic refugees. I'm confident that Thailand doesn't house 'unwelcome guests' in hotels - happy to hear otherwise.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived