Olympics

sayjann

Kaew robbed of gold

Kaew Pongprayoon lost a gold medal in Olympic boxing early Sunday in one of the most controversial decisions of the London games.

Judges and the referee appeared determined to give the fight to Zou Shiming of China, drawing heavy boos from the crowd.

The judges gave Zou a one-point advantage in each of the three rounds - 2-1, 4-3, 7-6 in a fight were Kaew appeared the clear winner of both the second and third rounds.

Late in the third round, referee Yasar Cinar of Turkey finally gave Zou a one-point penalty for holding and brawling.

Seconds later, however, he took a point away from Kaew, to even the score.

The result left Thailand with two silver medals and a bronze at the London Olympics, which end late Sunday night, Thailand time.

http://www.bangkokpost.com/breakingnews/307283/kaew-robbed-of-gold

did somebody see the fight?

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Chinese boxer, judges, referee all beat Kaew for gold

LONDON : The crowd booed and international announcers openly criticised yet another unjust boxing decision that prevented Kaew Pongprayoon from winning a gold medal Sunday morning.

The crowd, foreign commentators and millions around the world saw Kaew defeat Zou Shiming of China for the gold medal in the light flyweight division.

But five judges and referee Yasar Cinar of Turkey saw Zou edge Kaew by one point in each of the rounds, and emerge with victory and gold.

Kaew, gracious as always, accepted the silver. It was a consolation prize, the only medal by Thai boxers at the London Games.

Zou was jubilant, of course, but Kaew was almost inconsolable right after the decision was announced.

"I'm still really happy that I got this silver medal," said the classy Thai. "It might not be gold, but it's still silver, and I'm really proud that I can bring it back for the Thai people and everyone back in Thailand."

Reporters of TV Channels 3 and 11 spoke to the Thai team in London, and said there was an attempt to appeal the decision.

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/local/307288/chinese-boxer-judges-referee-all-beat-kaew-for-gold

The International Amateur Boxing Association (AIBA) refused to accept a Thai team appeal, because under Olympic rules, it must be filed within five minutes of the results being announced.

But it was the first time since 1992 that Thailand has failed to get a gold medal in boxing - in fact, any gold medal at all. The country finished with two silver medals in boxing and women's weightlifting, and a bronze in women's taekwondo.

The boxing loss by Kaew was difficult to watch, hard to take, especially the way the fight went.

After an even first round given by judges to Zou by 2-to-1, Kaew came out fighting harder in round two, clearly out-boxing the Chinese fighter, who backed away and frequently resorted to holding. Round two to the Chinese boxer, 4-3.

Knowing he was down by two points, Kaew came out furiously in the third round, aiming at Zou's body - and frequently landing. The backpedaling Zou threw punches at Kaew's head, infrequently connecting.

With less than a minute to go, referee Cinar finally decided he had seen enough brawling from Zou, and took a point away. Then, just seconds later, he told Kaew he was holding - and took a point from the Thai fighter, to even up the penalties.

Kaew was disappointed not to have not scored more points in the first round.

"I thought that I'd won and I could see that the crowd thought I'd won as well," said the 32-year-old with red eyes.

"Especially in the last round, I don't know why they deducted the points from me. I felt that it was my match.

The third-round score was judged to be 7-6 by the judges, and Zou went into Olympic records as the gold medal winner by 13-10.

After the decision, a disconsolate and unbelieving Kaew slumped to the canvas, near tears because he knew in his heart he had won the bout.

Olympics 2012 Boxing Results: Zou Shiming Wins Second Gold Medal, Controversy Again Over Officiating

China's Zou Shiming repeated as Olympic gold medalist today in London, defeating Thailand's Kaeo Pongprayoon on a score of 13-10 to win the men's light flyweight division. But the result was not without an unfortunately familiar level of controversy

It has to be said, first off, that Zou frankly fought with a deplorably ugly style in this one, running and grabbing constantly, and at one point essentially tackling Pongprayoon.

The tactics favored Zou, as he opened up a 2-1 lead in the first round, and then led 6-4 after two. But he was given a public warning in the third, which in theory should have given Pongprayoon two points. That was wiped out when moments later, an undeserved warning was given to the 32-year-old from Thailand.

The London crowd felt that Pongprayoon deserved the victory, and pretty heartily booed Zou's announcement as the gold medal winner. It was the final Olympics match for both, as they will be too old for the Rio games in 2016. Not the best ending to either man's Olympic boxing career.

My link

According to the official scoring, the Thai boxer only landed 8 punches in the entire fight. WTF? He is credited with just 1 by all the judges for the first round, when you can see him landing body shots on the Chinaman. That ridiculous penalty for absolutely no reason was to make sure that Zou won. Apparently, the ref was afraid that Kaew might have been ahead on points.

Most idiotically, decisions can only be protested within FIVE MINUTES of the end of the fight. Huh? :banghead:

Just saw the end of the marathon - the Ugandan let the Kenyans play their little mind games for the first 10km, then put it to them for 5k and broke their game plan. They shuffled in behind him as he knelt in front of the Ugandan flag in his hands - first gold medal winner from Uganda since the early 70s. Insanely gifted athletes - cant imagine what sort of pain threshold marathon runners must have.

LOL, try again...... :closemouth:

i may be wrong but it depends what time the events finish?.

things will probably change in 4 Years but as i tend to stay up all night and not go to bed until daybreak so i'll be fine.

this games has been a bit of a pain as i've had to change my sleeping habits.... :angryfire:

cant imagine what sort of pain threshold marathon runners must have.

i ran my first London Marathon (fastest time i ever ran) and felt fine.

actually drove around 70 miles home and i was fucked when i got home,i could'nt get out the car.. :blink:

eventually i was seen and had to be prised out the car and carried indoors as my legs had died.

the pain as the feeling returned to my legs was not pleasant.. :angry:

Archived