Skype Sms's Not Being Delivered

gawguy

There is a 9 page thread on this in Skype Network community:

"I have been sending SMS messages to Thailand for 6 months. Now all of a sudden they are not being delivered. Sunday 0ctober 15 they were not delivered Monday thru Friday they were delivered, now again Sunday 22 october and monday october 23 they are not delivered is this because Microsoft has done something? Never had problems when it was owned by Skype."

"Skype SMS is totally unreliable, only about 5% of SMS messages get through, it is worse than useless, a total waste of time and money. What is Skype doing about this?"

"Same problem here! Bought Skype credit to SMS to Thailand, send 4 msg and none came trough but where billed. I sent one test SMS in my own country (Holland) and this one was delivered a few seconds later, directly after that send one to Thailand again and this was not delivered."

Our member Ratchada was kind enough to give me his phone number in LOS and I sent him a test text. It was immediately reported as "Sent" (which means "you've been charged") and then I did other things for two hours while I waited for "Delivered." I gave up. Next day he PM'd me that he had received it and all was well. (Thank you Mr. R!) And when I now check the status of that msg it is marked "Delivered."

About half an hour ago I sent a msg to a Thai lady and the sending indicator is still spinning. I'm getting a Fuck Skype attitude.

Any thoughts ??

Thanks,

Gaw Guy

I've used Skype sms a lot over the last couple of years and agree that it does seem to have got worse. It seems to be more the international delivery system, I have no difficulty sending Skype sms messages to Thai phones whilst in Thailand and I generally only sms Thai phones when out of the country also.

My presumption is that once it shows Delivered in Skype then the message is actually on the destination phone, and not that a hand off was accepted by some in line network. My guess is that Skype sends the message and then waits for a response possibly not retrying to see if it got through when a response is not received in a certain time. Dunno.

A more serious annoyance to me has been that on a few occasions trying to send an sms to a Thai phone whilst in another country and using Skype I get a Failed message with the nmote that the number was not recognised, WTF! It's the same number I used not 10 minutes ago, or yesterday and is a stored number, not one I typed in.

About half an hour ago I sent a msg to a Thai lady and the sending indicator is still spinning. I'm getting a Fuck Skype attitude.

It is now 6 hours later and indicator is still spinning. There is no delivery and no "Failed" remark. Boy! This sucks!

It is now 6 hours later and indicator is still spinning. There is no delivery and no "Failed" remark. Boy! This sucks!

First try sending a text message to your own mobile phone. If this is working almost probably there is problem with the phone number/connection concerned you wanted to send the SMS to.

Second you should reboot your PC. Sometimes it's just a hiccup of the OS.

Thirdm if this doesn't help you might uninstall Skype, reboot and reinstall the latest version.

Forth, if this doesn't help go out and have several Tequilas - after a short you won't care anymore. smirk.gif

First try sending a text message to your own mobile phone. If this is working almost probably there is problem with the phone number/connection concerned you wanted to send the SMS to.

Second you should reboot your PC. Sometimes it's just a hiccup of the OS.

Thirdm if this doesn't help you might uninstall Skype, reboot and reinstall the latest version.

Forth, if this doesn't help go out and have several Tequilas - after a short you won't care anymore. smirk.gif

I'm amazed how the mind works. I actually thought of this before I read your post, which BTW, contains the answer. It had occurred to me out of the blue that I was leaving the lead zero in the Thai girl's phone number. I pasted the number in from a file of phone numbers I have. So I checked back to Ratchada's PM from which I had copied and pasted the number he gave me. It didn't have the lead zero and it worked. I went back to Skype contacts, removed the lead zero from her number, sent SMS and whoopee - happy ending!

The human brain amazes me. I've heard scientists talk about how it would have been much better if it had been engineered and re-engineered as a series of improved models, rather then evolving. Because it evolved it was always built up from the original system. Old brain stem fundamentally the same, mid brain, etc., each part developing on the original old part, thus always hooked into the old technology. Like if we had original tech in cell phones, you might have to turn a hand crank on your mobile to get it to start up. Or maybe you'd have to call an operator to connect you, "Hi Gladys - how are the kids. Give me Rosemont 759." "OK Gaw, and you say hello to Annie for me. See you at the Ice Cream Social."

Do you wankers see what I'm saying? No? I'm saying I'm surprised it occurred to my obsolete brain that the lead zero might be the problem. And Gladys would have prevented the problem in the first place.

Thanks for all help and comments.

Gaw Guy :evilpumpkin:

Archived