Encounter With Bg Who Lived In Us For A While Yesterday

Gadfly

"Though the famous Thai novel “Khao Nok Na†which was written by “Seefah†37 years ago does not focus on

political issues of Thailand during post- Vietnam war, the characters of Dam and Duan, half Thai-American sisters of the same mother, abandoned by their G.I. fathers of different races, were significantly a symbol of social problem commonly seen those days.

The 2010 adaptation of the novel to a musical by Bangkok University presents a contemporary interpretation which provokes the idea of how divided Thai society is nowadays by emphasizing the Themes of Difference, Value, and Virtue in the play. Having “Faith†in oneself and all aspects of the aforementioned themes should bring peace to society and happiness to life."

My link

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Came across a bit more info.

There appears to be a Thai Facebook page (dated 21/01/2011) for Khao Nawk Na (1975) here with a 19 minute clip available for viewing. If I could understand the page correctly, the film was first screened in Bangkok's Siam Grande cinema on the 06th Sept 1975. It won several Golden Doll Awards (a Thai film award) including best leading actress, film music, script and best young actress.

Up to 1988 the film was available for rent on VHS tape but unfortunately no copies remain. Some time after 1988, Thai Channel 1 aired the film on TV and the Facebook's author's friend managed to record it but he mucked up the timer and missed the start of the film. He wasn't too worried, thinking it would be repeated or released on CD/DVD, but it never was, making the partial recording he had managed to get quite valuable among collectors of old Thai films.

http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=292320457470325

There were some good films made back in the '70s (along with a lot of cheapies). Another memorable one was about an Issan farmer whose wife had abandoned her husband and children to work in the bars (or run off with an American airman, forget which). He comes to Bangkok to make a living as a taxi driver, only to run into trouble with gangs. He is befriended by a kind-hearted BG. Thongpoon Khokpoh or something similar.

Just a quick comment on a pretty classic confusing thread title.

"Encounter With Bg Who Lived In Us For A While Yesterday"

So around what time of day was it when she lived inside you? And in your friend?

This reminds me a bit about the one where a mother scolded her child at bedtime for requesting the Australia book...

"What did you bring the book to read out of about Down Under up for?"

• 4 weeks later...

Yeah I also looked and didn't find much. Pre-YouTube Days?

More important, it sounds as though this is not a recent phenomena in Thailand. My hunch is that, with a slight bit of probing, you may find cases where this has happened over generations (I wonder if any Thai sociologists have done studies?). I also suspect that more than a few BGs come from 'families' where this had happened over generations. It would explain the blasé attitude here about this.

Even more curious, the kid (leuk-krueng [sp?]) who stayed New Jersey could grow up to be a bible thumping born-again or, with his NJ 'family values' background, seek out his step brother. As mentioned in the OP, the family NJ were born agains and the BG was, briefly after her return to Thailand, one too. This could form the basis of a movie similar to "Twins", which featured Arnold Schwarzenegger and Danny DeVito, although if it's true to life, I don't see a happy ending.

The fact that so many Thai men are such useless shits didn't just break through after the 1960s. They have been like this forever or at least as long as living memory. Drink, laziness, too doting a mother etc. were the root cause I suspect but now it is fuelled by the consumerism of the 21st century when you are measured by the version on your ipad or coolness of your smartphone, none of which are truly available to people in a subsistence farming community or the supporting manufacturing infrastructure.

If it were a true new phenomena then a girl abandoning her child to work as a hooker would only be accepted if she really did send home the bacon. That she does not and that is accepted, just highlights the fact that leaving kids behind is the norm and sending back a mere pittance is normal also.

The same can be said about drivers abandoning the scene of an accident and guys showing no responsibility at all in any area of general life. The exception is the man who did stay and he is often derided by those who left, to lao khao away their existence.

Look around at a village wedding and see if you can find a decent man. My experience is that you don't find many and you find far more wasters and useless lumps only out to soak up any free booze going.

Kids ? just an inconvenience, easily forgotten.

Unfortunately your comments are right on target. That is the main reason that the Chinese-Thais run the country, though many of their men are not much better. Many of my female colleagues are quite attractive, besides being very intelligent and well educated. Then I meet their husbands and so often think, "Why did she marry that piece of defecation?" :dunno:

Archived