Encounter With Bg Who Lived In Us For A While Yesterday

Gadfly

I guess we all wonder what happens to old BGs. Well, here is one story. Yesterday, at Terminal 21, I run into a a BG from Nana with a one year old Thai child and her ten year younger "brother". He is not the father of the Thai child, they both quickly told me.

About nine years back she was a real stunner. Said she had an American boyfriend her age, and then one day just disappeared from the bar. Five or six years later, I run into the bar, and she wants "my help." Says she's "changed". Shows me picture of her with her American boyfriend and his parents in the U.S. She said it was New Jersey and no reasons to disbelieve her on this. Also says she was divorced, and the US parents have the child (ex-husband works on the oil industry). Says she is a born again, and quotes enough Bible on this enough to convince (I can't quote any, but if a BG can quote some, that is enough to convince me).

I put here in touch with a friend in the US who knows US family law in the US, and he says at first she was interested and he was willing to handle for free, but she lost interest. He thought it was strange that she could just forget about this child and move on. I remember this, and I remember seeing her back in the bar about two years ago. She was with a 60 year old Farang guy, whom she said she was going to marry. I was told not to mention the prior American husband. I was surprised at how quickly things had changed. She must have changed bars because it wasn't until yesterday that I saw her again.

When her current boyfriend left, she told me he was just her brother (right - they had been smooching a bit), the father was some older Thai guy, and this is the first she seen had the child in six months. Totally nonchalant about the whole thing, and not much of a mother as far as I could tell. Told me she was still working, and gave me the name of the bar. I asked about the older Farang guy, she said he helped build her parents a new house, but was a "bad man". Said the Thai child spent all of his parents up in Issan. Asked about the Thai-American child, told me not to bring it up again, particularly at her bar or in front of her "brother".

I was amazed. It was like the time she had spent in the US, the child in the US, the house the older Farang guy built her house and, soon, the Thai child, had never happened. She was no longer religious (silver lining). They weren't part of her life. Her life was in the bar. Nothing, absolutely nothing, over an amazing last nine years had changed. She was exactly like she was almost a decade before, but a bit older (this was evident in the day light sun), but otherwise, mentally, it was if she was still 19. After all that she had been through, I was just floored. This place never ceases to amaze me.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"Yesterday, at Terminal 21, I run into a a BG from Nana with a one year old Thai child and her ten year younger "brother".

He is not the father of the Thai child, they both quickly told me."

Can you redo this - I think you left out a person that is central to the story and it makes it very difficult to understand why she is kissing a 10 year old brother.

One seldom meets Miss Einstein in the gogo bars. I remember a Brit newbie trying to tell me his girl of the month "wasn't stupid" ... in fact, she was quite intelligent. He didn't speak a word of Thai, so how would he know? I conversed with her only in that language, and the gal made a buffalo seem smart. I remember she said she didn't like Chinese food, so I asked her why she was eating bawbia. She replied that it wasn't Chinese. I asked her why it had a Chinese name and she was befuddled.

There are some nice girls in the bars, some quite intelligent. There are also some thickies who are beyond our understanding.

One seldom meets Miss Einstein in the gogo bars. I remember a Brit newbie trying to tell me his girl of the month "wasn't stupid" ... in fact, she was quite intelligent. He didn't speak a word of Thai, so how would he know? I conversed with her only in that language, and the gal made a buffalo seem smart. I remember she said she didn't like Chinese food, so I asked her why she was eating bawbia. She replied that it wasn't Chinese. I asked her why it had a Chinese name and she was befuddled.

There are some nice girls in the bars, some quite intelligent. There are also some thickies who are beyond our understanding.

Flash - the number of "White Knights" I've met whose gals are genius's - well I wish I had only a Satang for each of them! I'd be rich!

No idea why they need to think the gal is so smart - self validation I suspect?

Disclaimer - I am happy to admit my wife is smarter than me, but then that isn't hard :)

Gaddie - sadly nothing really new in the story is there? I recently posted to some friends a photo of an old girlfriend, who was a stunner 15 years ago, and had everything in the world, including at one time married to one of the wealthiest Leuk Krung successful men in Bangkok.

She gave that all up to move back to the streets, where she lives now, oddly happy, but a shadow of her former beauty.

"Yesterday, at Terminal 21, I run into a a BG from Nana with a one year old Thai child and her ten year younger "brother".

He is not the father of the Thai child, they both quickly told me."

Can you redo this - I think you left out a person that is central to the story and it makes it very difficult to understand why she is kissing a 10 year old brother.

If you believe her, this guy is her "brother". He looks to be in his late teens/early 20s.

Flash - the number of "White Knights" I've met whose gals are genius's - well I wish I had only a Satang for each of them! I'd be rich!

No idea why they need to think the gal is so smart - self validation I suspect?

Disclaimer - I am happy to admit my wife is smarter than me, but then that isn't hard :)

Gaddie - sadly nothing really new in the story is there? I recently posted to some friends a photo of an old girlfriend, who was a stunner 15 years ago, and had everything in the world, including at one time married to one of the wealthiest Leuk Krung successful men in Bangkok.

She gave that all up to move back to the streets, where she lives now, oddly happy, but a shadow of her former beauty.

True: nothing new, but a bit stranger and more extreme than the normal story. This girl had a child with an American her age (seemed decent looking from the picture), lived in the US for awhile, apparantly has no contact with this child now and doesn't seem to have any interest, went back to the bar, took up with (seemed decent) guy more than twice her age, had him build her family a place in Issan and now has a second son and, I guess is shacking up with a guy 10 years younger. I am surprised about the number of twists in her life and not so much that it is twisted.

Way back in my Peace Corps days, another vol fell for a Pattaya BG. He knocked her up, she had the kid, and then promptly abandoned her! The PC vol, a guy in his mid-20s, was shocked. He said he was not having his daughter grow up to be a hooker. He tracked her down and legally adopted her. He took his daughter home with him. His parents immediately fell in love with the little cutie and begged to be allowed to raise her. He agreed and the daughter lived happily ever after. The birth mother never expressed any interest in her child and never tried to see her again. Takes all kinds. :dunno:

Far and away my favorite BGs are the girls who don't try to tell me stories - not even the old standbys like 'Thai man no good' - but just accept that they are there as hostesses, not social workers or charity cases. Girls who just want to cry into their freakin' ladydrink are a burden on the industry - if they dont like life in the bar, they should give something else a shot. A hostess is supposed to make you forget your own troubles, not hand you a whole new set to mull over.

From the little I've seen of this abandonment thing here I'm surprised it's not more of a issue. Maybe it is and like so many other things in Thailand it's kept quiet. For every 5 or 6 BG's I've talked to who had kids living back home I can pretty much say that at least 1 or more has no interest in them. Sad stuff.

Life in Farangland probably seems very dull for many of these ladies after the excitement of the bar/gogo scene,even though it may be much safer,more secure and with better long term prospects,hence many of them return after a while.I adopted a stray cat once;gave it a good home,plenty of food etc.After a couple of days it went out and didnt come back.Later I found it back in the same place where I had originally seen it .....obviously it preferred that lifestyle :dunno: Same-same Thai lady bar :chinaman:

Archived