When Will You Call Thailand Your Home?

up2you2

Penang seldom has any riots. Last one I remember was a squabble years ago between Hindu Tamils and Muslim Tamils. Didn't know there were any Muslim Tamils. Penang still has a colonial feel to it. I was walking through Georgetown one day, when I noticed the older turbaned Indian walking towards me had something of a military look to him. He must have realised I knew it, since at the proper distance he snapped of a smart salute. I smiled and returned it. Good man. :)

I recall sitting it a batik shop I liked - Georgetown is great for souvenir shopping - and chatting with the young Muslim owner and his Sihk friend and a Hindu friend. The friend was explaining Sihkism, how women are completely equal etc. The Muslim was listening in fascination, obviously never having heard it before. Four religions represented and all speaking respectfully of each other's faith. Not what one expects in an officially Muslim country.

Penang airport is less than an hour from Swampypoom by cheapo Air Asia. Takes almost as long to get home from Swampy. :p

p.s. I usually stay in an old Chinese style hotel on Lebuh Chulia. An unpretentious but A/C room with a double bed for about 400 to 500 baht. Cold beer and acceptable food downstairs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9a0wrweX3_g

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The city I lived in number no more than 60,000 inhabitants. However, it was on the rail line and I could easily get to Bangkok or Chiangmai when I felt like it. That was in the days before the Internet, but I was working, which occupied a fair amount of time. There were only a handful of Farangs.

Try 6,000 people, 8 hours from Sydney, and an hour from the town I was born in. Still, each night I turn on the telly and watch some poor sods stuck in traffic in Sydney and it's not the worst place in the world ....

Roosters to feather dusters - same as it ever was - dont bang the door on your way out, chums. Good luck in PI - I'm sure the locals will welcome you with open arms. And outstretched palms.

Not my bag old chap but a large number of previously Bangkok / Pattaya visitors have intertwined trips to Angeles and the like over recent years and some have simply given up on LOS altogether.

What is strange to me, as I love Thai food, is that the shite food selections of the Pl, which were routinely trotted out as real disincentives to going there, are now simply brushed aside as non issues; the much higher ranking attitudes and value for money being more important.

Just to add on the Pl for UK pensioners, the Philippines is a country where pension increases are passed on. Thailand is not. For that alone, it would make considerable sense for anyone retiring in Thailand to actually tell their government they were retiring in the Pl and simply go to the Pl from LOS during Songkran to escape the madness and do the paperwork.

Just to add on the Pl for UK pensioners, the Philippines is a country where pension increases are passed on. Thailand is not. For that alone, it would make considerable sense for anyone retiring in Thailand to actually tell their government they were retiring in the Pl and simply go to the Pl from LOS during Songkran to escape the madness and do the paperwork.

I get the impression from some of the TV rants that the British govt isnt completely unaware of such skullduggery ;)

I get the impression from some of the TV rants that the British govt isnt completely unaware of such skullduggery ;)

May well be the case but bugger all they can do about it if the Pl don't require a minimum period of residence each year. It would, over decades, be worth buying a condo to prove residence and simply renting it out to someone. With the increases in pensions on the horizon, you'd be mad not to do it.

Archived