When Will You Call Thailand Your Home?

up2you2

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mekong, that's one of the hundreds bitching about the GBP-THB exchange rate on TV atm - seems it wasnt so hard to wind up those extensive business interests in Thailand after all.

Welcome back Gobbie, you have just pinpointed the main reason I stay away from TV, all whinnying and no action.

Company still not shut down in Thailand the wife is in Bangkok and will join me later once it's all sorted out.

I have lived and worked in Malaysia for some years, in the KL area as well as Penang and

other areas.

With all the Muslims there, 60% of the population or so, it is a Muslim country.

Everyday, the annoying loud speakers blasting out the Muslim call to prayer.

The hic-cups where the Muslim religious police hassle people.

Higher cost of alcohol.

The education system is much better than what is here in Thailand. Malay people

are far better drivers and quite respectful of the police. There is no mention of

"tea money" if you have an encounter with the Malay police.

I have never gone anywhere in Malaysia where an English speaking person could

not be found.

For me, living and working in Thailand is OK.

If I was not working in Thailand and trying to exist on an income of US dollars (pensions,

social security, etc), I would be giving Laos, Cambodia, Malaysia and even Viet Nam a hard look.

As frustrating as Thailand can be at times, I know the downsides in Malaysia, Singapore and

other nearby countries.

For now, Thailand is OK for me and is my home.

coss - 13 months and I'll be a free man - think happy thoughts.

cav - I hear ya, but each of my stays in Ipoh has been blissfully free of any calls to prayer. I'm sure there is no shortage of Muslims in the city, but it's widely recognised as a Chinese (thus nominally Christian) outpost - some magnificent old churches there. If one thing sticks out to me re Malaysia, its the heat and oppressive humidity - even worse than Thailand, IMO. There is also a lot of concern re the rising cost of living and an increase in crime - particularly in KL - but I dont know of any country with a falling crime rate and 0% inflation. I find the palm oil monoculture really depressing, but I'll definitely take a good look at Butterworth and Ipoh in 2014. Even if Malaysia only served as a base from which I could explore other parts of Asia, those 90-day stays are just too good to ignore. Given that I have no plans to marry anyone, I'm footloose and fancy-free :D

A cousin committed suicide last year, in the letter he said he was lonely. This was a man with literally hundreds of friends. Loneliness can indeed be a killer. He never visited Thailand, not that it would have stopped the loneliness but I've known it give more than a few people good reason to keep living.

Archived