Best Tricks To Fight Multi-Tiered Pricing

WorldFun

so everyone hates to pay inflated prices for foreigners/farangs/long nooses at certain establishments/shops/venues in the LOS so how do one go about beating the system or arrogant owners/staff?

no point arguing best to avoid those places...plenty of other threads to re-suggest that :)

------------------------------

1) pretend to be thai - sawatdi jao 1 adult ticket please? should the rude sales staff ask for proof like ID simple say you forgot it at home :)

2) pretend to have PR/work permit/tax payer/drivers license - if having one such doc to show there really is no reason to be charged the 'tourist price'

3) pretend to speak thai (fluently) lol - umm just read the thai numbered price, pay the money and demand the normal/thai colored ticket!

4) pretend to be rude/ignorant/trouble maker - know the different prices available (e.g. ocean world paragon have 3 prices: normal/thai, foreign/residents, tourist/ripoff). demand the normal/lowest price or threat to go to the site manager & blame the staff for cheating/racism/etc!

5) get a thai to buy your ticket - should any staff question your right to use a thai/normal priced ticket to enter simply refer to 1-4) above or speak to a superiour :)

6) simply refuse to buy a ticket at all - e.g. many temples are free for thais so again just walk in knowing this & ignore any ticket booth etc e.g. wat arun, wat poo might be doable while wat phra kiew is probably impossible for the average foreigner :p

Enjoy ;)

My experience show no option above is sure to yield the desired result of paying the correct/fair/right price, but succes rate is pretty good at most places.

" sawatdi jao" - then they think you are a northern khatoey. :p

Years ago I helped a well known prince with a book for the royal charities. If I went to Wat Pra Kaeo with him, no problem. I went by myself one day, but even my government ID didn't get me in. "You Falang. You pay!" I turned around and left. Sod 'em. WPK was the only place that ever happened to me.

I went to the Chiang Mai Zoo recently, three of us in attendance. The main gate charges for admission - fair enough. And there's a sign indicating that the Pandas would be extra - fair enough, Pandas are expensive.

So after traipsing up hills in the midday heat (the zoo is built on steep hills) we get to the aquarium, where we are confronted by demands for a further 450 bht each.

I disconcerted all around, by venting thus, "You've got to be fucking joking!"

Immediately without batting an eyelid, she said, "OK special price 200 bht"

So I got to see the Aquarium, never again.

even a northern katoey still gets free entrance to WPK right unlike a (soon to be) retired longnoosed uni ajarn?

:p

so no other tricks to suggest??

Depends. If you are of Asian ancestry, keep your mouth shut. Works for some Chinese-American friends.

Even speaking fluent Thai and having a government ID card doesn't always work. Maybe a bag over your head and saying "Do you know who my father is" might. :hmmm:

Archived