You've Been In Bangkok Too Long When You Look Forward To A Night Of...

JaiRai

when you look forward to a night of not getting laid. not getting called, SMS'd, Line'd, Whatsapp'd, and whatnot. So much so that you turn off your fucking phone, buy a couple cheapo cuban cigars from Villa Market (upstairs at the Villa Market next to Soi 33), a bottle of scotch, and put on season 2 of Homeland.

And you're happy. Relieved. A grace period if you will. Thank god.

Of course, tomorrow is a different story, but hell....

photo.jpg

you've been in BKK too long when you can notice a slight shift in the sewage smell

And it doesn't bother you that much anymore. :) Or you don't get pissed off at people cutting you off on the sidewalk or bum-rushing the elevator before you can walk out.

Or you see a couple with 3 small kids on the same scooter w/o helmets in Bangkok traffic insanity and don't give it a second glance (where you used to say: holy fuck what's wrong with that picture). Or the same girl working the counter at 7 downstairs laughs when she sees you come in scowling with your electric bill, and sometimes even opens the closed register so you don't have to wait. Or you view falang you don't know with the bullshit meter set to high - honesty becoming a thing of great value. The place definitely affects you over time.

I need to be more critical and less Mai Bpen Rai, gonna have to work on that. Let me get some rest first.

Plainsdrifter here for 7 months now, and being a little self-deprecating and foolish. Not a serious topic. To tell true I dread the day that's coming - probably in another 7 months or so - the return to the grind.

It's been an interesting run.

Archived