I Wont Miss Winter One Bloody Bit ....

gobbledonk

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Penang has a low level nightlife, not blatant but there if you need it. On my first visit in 1974, I wandered into a small hotel off Leboh Chulia. Turned out the "hotel" was one big knocking shop. You rented a room "with". You had your choice of the "withs". Also, a Brit riend picked up two waitresses for the night - one Indian, the other Malay. He picked the Malay because he just wanted to saw he'd shagged a Muslim. They were working in an ordinary restaurant and he chatted them up. I stayed at the fascinating old Cathay Hotel in 1980. Turned out the "health room" in the rear was filled with Chinese ladies eager to help improve your health.

"Along Penang Road, there are plenty of good eating-places where you can get a small meal like curry and bread for 3 RM. There is an excellent Indian restaurant on Penang Road opposite Chulia Street. Further down Penang Road are some nice western style pubs. This is also the naughty nightlife area with girls touting on the street. It might be a Muslim country but the oldest profession goes on. I am told there are also a lot of ladyboys around."

http://www.knowphuke...-run-Penang.htm

Also, you can take a quick trip up to Hatyai, which has MPs and the like.

Gobble...

thought you mentioned something about revisiting your 'Epic countdown thread' in 2013? Last time I looked, you were somewhere in the '97 weeks to go' timeframe... been a while since then.

Hmmm. Have not been to Penang since the late '60s as a kid. Come to think of it, have not stepped into Malaysia for almost thirty years. Just see it in passing through the airplane window.

Don't forget that underneath Malaysia is still very traditional, and the bumiputra is still favored over any 'others'. Get seen too often with different gals and you could have the religious police come knocking on your door. Just saying.

Many of the expats I've seen in Penang have Thai wives. :)

There is a small Thai community that celebrates the Thai holidays. Plus enough Thais go there that some of the shop keepers speak a bit of Thai. Georgetown is actually a Malay minority town - mostly Indian and Chinese. However, the development on the island is attracting more ethnic Malays all the time.

As to the religious gestapo, they kicked up a stink on Langkawi a few years ago when they raided the home of a retired American couple! They are not supposed to bother "infidels", only discipline backsliding Muslims. The couple was so pissed off that they were talking about leaving Malaysia for good.

http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2006/10/28/nation/15839442&sec=nation#137172702955455&if_height=10

Archived