I Wont Miss Winter One Bloody Bit ....

gobbledonk

This is my last Winter in Oz - my last 'Winter' anywhere - and i

Gobbie Sir, one thing I have learned during my years on this planet is never say never. I thought that I would never return to the UK yet I spent 4 months there earlier this year after 25 years away, I vowed never to return to the Middle East been out for near on 5 years now but fark me I am now holding a ticket to fly into Dubai next Monday.

Life throws the occasional curve ball at you, just keep slogging away!

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Money is ultimately what drives most of us at some level, it does me at least. I'll go places and do things if the numbers make sense but I have my limits too. The business I work in is not so well paid globally but there are pockets of opportunity that are worth some degree of hardship. That's what finds me in Qatar right now, and I'll stay as long as I can. As the note I saw on someones desk the other day put it, "Spend a few years doing what most people won't so you can spend the remaining years doing what most people can't". That said I have my limits too and some places are off limits no matter the cash on offer.

Very well .

Many a times I have already told our Great and Beloved Leader Kim Yong Khunsanuk that as much as I like the Kingdom I would never think of moving there . Because after 3 months in place I would start complaining about the overcrowded skytrain instead of thinking how to undress the uni student that sits next to me .

Mr Gobblebonk , complaining about what you think is winter I may respectfully remind you that you need a winter to enjoy spring and summer . Trying to establish a status of permanent happyness on a tropical beach only leads into drunkenness and boredom . Happyness only arises from the preferably unexpected improvement from what you think is normal into something better and only remains for a while .

I decided to keep on working for a period of 5 years recently . Velly goos .

Great stuff, BuBi, and it's great to see that Flasher is following the Australian news closely, but the prospect of another 5 years in the workforce would have me out on a balcony in Pattaya in very short order - I envy your resilience, Take your point re 'going troppo', but that's a challenge for us all - it's also one of the reasons that I favor Penang over Pattaya. That said, I am reliably informed that there are expats living happily on the 'dark side' in Patts (and over the hill in Jomtien), who rarely venture into the madness of central Pattaya : more power to them, but I expect that they have Thai partners and possibly kids - I don't plan to have either, Besides, an essential part of the Pattaya experience is having a plane ticket with a departure date :D

Sir ,

I do not question the fact that there are millions of falangs living all over the place in Asia having a good time . What I wish to say is that you take the thrill out of a place once you are there all the time . Which includes certain female regions for that matter , sorry for being rude .

Many people dream of moving to Australia , nuff said .

Good point about the seasons.....Spring in NW Euroland can be fantastic with all the trees and plants coming out into growth and flower after a long ,cold Winter.LOS may have close to the perfect climate but that is one aspect that I,for one would miss :chinaman:

When asked where is my favorite place? I have to name at least four, as I have never found one place

to have it "all".

San Diego, California

Bangkok (area), Thailand

These are the main two. After these two it would be many others but briefly (a few weeks).

Tahiti

Cayman Islands

Berlin, Germany

Munich, Germany

Souda Bay, Greece

Dubai (Seamens' Club, just a few days/evenings)

Northern Canada (two weeks in the summer, fishing and camping)

etc.

:dunno:

Archived