I Wont Miss Winter One Bloody Bit ....

gobbledonk

I spend time on a Malaysian expat board - almost no mention of religious Police, but it is their country and I dont plan to parade around town with rentals,. The only working girls I've ever hired in Malaysia have all been Filis anyway - short of showing a little too much cleavage, I'm not sure what laws two lapsed Catholics would be breaking during the cab ride back to my place. Pretty obvious that Malaysian Immigration doesnt check the validity of student visas issues to PI nationals .....

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It was a Chinese Malaysian gal who grabbed me on my first visit. I think she was a nympho and a bit barmy. I thought I'd got rid of her, but she found out where I was staying and showed up at my hotel room. At least it didn't cost me anything.

p.s. I was a young guy in those days. :(

Does anyone what to comment about Melacca? I have a lady friend who moved from KL to Melacca and I do not know if I want to visit her there. I am sure prices there are cheaper than KL.

I kinda of like KL as the life there seems more tranquil than say Bangkok. Also, there are more diversity in Malaysia with Bumis (Malay), ethnic Chinese as well as Indian (Hindu).

In my younger days, I was interested in hooking up with a dark skinned Bumi.

I wonder if they are like the Catholics here in the US of years ago with repressed sex life but are wild.

Jon, I think you'll find Malacca a little different. It was a Portugese settlement way back when, a lot of the architecture around the town will attest to it. They also have a unique mini-culture; the Eurasians are also known as 'Gerago' (nicknamed after the small shrimp hey used to catch), 'Kristang' (Catholic, I guess) and still speak their own version of local Portugese. 'Pasar Portuget' (market portugese), I used to tell my Eurasian friend from there. He was not amused. :)

The food is quite different and is sometimes mistaken for Nyonya food. The Nyonyas are actually straits-born Chinese who intermarried with Malay. The food is quite unique.

Melacca reminded me of some of the tourist attractions in Oz - looks great in the brochure but you get there and it's just hot and crowded out with sightseers. I looked at the old boats, went into the shophouses that are open to the public, took photos of things like those tiny 'doll' shoes they used with bound feet back in the day (scary ..) and generally tried very hard to avoid buying tourist schlock. All-in-all, I was quite happy to get back on the bus to KL, but I tend to feel the same way about the Thai provinces I've been to - the novelty wears off and I find myself missing the buzz that goes with a real city. You can get Peranakan (Baba/Nyonya) food in KL or Penang, and Melacca just didnt leave that much of an impression on me. The Georgetown-Ipoh corridor holds a lot more interest to me, but I guess I'll find out soon enough if it's too quiet for my Dark Passenger : God knows he has had to lie dormant for far too many months in this burg, but I fear that he may well run completely amok in Pattaya :D

A little black humor, eh Flasher ? If you read any of the accounts of his life, Thompson favored the Highlands as an escape from the heat, crowds and humidity of Bangkok. Given that most of us would regard the location of his Bangkok home as relatively tranquil even now, one can only imagine how much better the Highlands were back then. I've seen a photo of the house he stayed in with friends and it's a classic 'tropical colonial' house - the kind that Kipling or Stamford Raffles would undoubtedly have approved of. If Thompson had survived his encounter with a Malaysian truck driver, I doubt that his legend would have differed from any number of early Asian entrepreneurs : like Elvis, his name made a lot more money after his death than it ever did in life. C'est La Vie.

Crowded Bangkok? Certainly not when I arrived in 1973, and definitely not when Thompson came here in late 1945:

1950 - 1,360,000

1955 - 1,712,000

1960 - 2,151,000

1965 - 2,585,000

1970 - 3,110,000

1975 - 3,842,000

p.s. Jorges Orgibet was the founder of the FCT and Thompson's good buddy who arrived at the same time. I asked Jorges (George) what he felt happened to Thompson. He said it was most likely an attempted robbery or kidnapping. "Jim was a fighter. He would have resisted and probably was killed, possibly by accident." He thought Thompson's body would be found some day, buried in the jungle.

Archived