Aussie Education

baa99

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In Australia, my passport, the 1st world country.

In Australia today there is no company that knows how to make a light bulb or an iron (for ironing clothes).

Kids are 3 years behind their Asian counterparts in all tests.

What they know is "services". Like flipping burgers for financial industry workers (BlackBerry wearers and MBA holders).

One more generation and nobody would know how to make anything. Without Government propping, the car industry in Oz would have died 5 years ago. Still, GM is pulling out. Only Ford remains.

Without ore and coal demand from China, Australia has only 1 thing: English language. Without it would become as irrelevant as Argentina is.

ttm, while I agree with some of what you are saying, you have grossly overstated the problem. Bannister is a (would-be) politician - hardly our best and brightest - and therein lies the core of the problem : we will never be a 21st century economy while our leaders' mindsets are firmly rooted in the 1960s. How many cars and toaster ovens do they make in Singapore each year, and how many of their 'top shelf' professionals got their degrees from an Australian university ? You know as well as I do that the brain drain will continue in Oz as long as our politicians continue to treat this country as nothing more than a mining and agriculture centre, but those scientists/engineers/whatever didnt suddenly grow a brain the day they got off the plane in NYC / Lausanne / London ...

Singapore is 30% manufacturing. Making things. And the biggest oil refinery in the world with no oil of its own.

What goes out from Australia, exports, on ships, is about 10 cents per kilo.

What goes out of Singapore, on cargo planes, is 112 $ per kilo.

Singaporeans who graduated from Oz universities are those unfit to make it into Singapore National University or other local ones. World class they are. Who on earth would go to pay, as a foreigner, 10s of thousand of dollars a year to study in Australia while leaving world class Unis at home?

Singaporeans who graduated from Oz universities are those unfit to make it into Singapore National University or other local ones. World class they are. Who on earth would go to pay, as a foreigner, 10s of thousand of dollars a year to study in Australia while leaving world class Unis at home?

How many Nobel Laureates have been educated in Singapore? How many Nobel Laureates are doing research/teaching in Singapore? I wouldn't consider Singapore Unis world class but competent.

And yes, there is massive research in Singapore Unis that are world class as their whole education system is.

Ok, show me the metric you are using that indicates world class research. The metric I used was Nobel winners produced or teaching at a uni. To me that indicates the top (world class) research unis.

A light bulb.

Aussies knew how to make it 100 years ago, today they don't. Back then, Singapore was a swamp with hungry people and no houses made of solid material.

Remove government subsidies and in one generation Australia may become a de-industrialized white dump of Asia. (as their legenday PM Lee Kuan Yew put it).

Archived