Thai Military Reserve Academy

think_too_mut

No, no. Just why are the girls doing that (military reserve training). What do they get after that?

According to the age, they might have finished Uni or something. Even if not, why?

As for uniforms, if there are men who hate ladies in uniforms, I am not one of them. But that is not the point right now.

I presume they are graduates of the same reserve officer training that the guys go through. From their ribbons, they have spent a number of years of doing something. A few even have airborne jump wings. When they graduate, they immediately go into the inactive reserve. The men usually go through this to keep from having to serve on active duty. The women may do it just to have something to gloat about. Even the one pip of a second lieutenant brings respect in Thailand. They would be about 20 or 21 when they receive their commission.

I used to see only guys taking part - easily identifiable when they came to class in uniform. But in the last few years I have seen more female students in uniform too.

I know very little about it, so I googled and found this:

http://en.wikipedia...._Force_Students

And the site in Thai:

http://arcmd.rta.mi.th/

Well, if you said that was all you could find, I clicked on the link you provided.

Not much there.

My wife reckons (she does not know) some privileges, like govt pension, right to be called where they can help (as females).

There has to be something like or more than that.

Or just being plugged in into the govt train regardless of what they do afterwards?

Rman, I asked the Thai students in the international BBA programme why they didn't study abroad instead. They told me that in Thailand is was all about whom you knew. They said they knew they'd probably get a better education in the US, UK or Aus, but then they wouldn't have the contacts. They prefered to get a BBA here and then follow it up with an MBA from a western university.

I imagine this reserve commissioning thing must be something like that. You make useful contacts. :dunno:

Flash,

I totally agree with you about "connections" I know many Thai's who have taken BA in Thailand before going overseas for MBA.

As we have discussed in the past, the Uni that one attends can influence a persons future, there are many companies in Thailand that will only employ Chula Grad's and conversely many who have a preference for Thammasat Grad's, if you think the "Old School Tie" network is bad in the UK it is not a patch on Thailand.

Even the Multinational I used to work for in Thailand had it's bias, since it was an engineering house the preference was for KMIT grad's 95% of the Thai employees are KMIT and many had an internship prior to being taken on full time.

Of the Thai's who studied BA abroad, I can tell you about an ex girlfriend of mine (yes we still stay in contact) she studied in Australia got her BA and MBA before returning to Thailand. She could not get decent jobs due to her lack of connections, even though she was well qualified and spoke fluent English, all be it with an Aussie accent, her resume was always rejected at the first hurdle. Ironically she followed me into Oil & Gas and now works / lives in Russia.

To get around that I know Thammasat - and maybe some others now - have joint programmes, where you study 2 years in Bangkok and then another 2 in the US, UK and France. One TU programme involves 2 years here and 3 in Paris (studying in English). When you graduate, you get a BBA from both Tommy Sot and the French uni, plus an MBA from France. There is an engineering programme in combination with universities in the US and Canada.

Archived