Surely A Thai Band Could Do This ?

gobbledonk

Feel free to post a video of a Thai band doing something - anything - 'original' ...... I thought this clip was interesting as Katoeys would have made more believable 'women', but perhaps I've missed the point. Perhaps it was never about looking like women, or even looking like trannies - just about crafting a different image.

The Japanese band in this vid might be the 2013 version of the infamous 'New York Dolls', but it's not J-Pop - thankfully, Best of all, they can actually play their instruments - stark contrast to the poseur brigade of androgyny from Korea. Glam/symphonic metal tends to attract the more theatrical types, but when I see men dressed as Goth Lolitas (granted, one of them has breasts ..), I immediately ask myself if a band comprised of Katoeys might fill a similar niche, but apparently you've knocked that on the head so I'll leave it there.

:) Thai and original do seem poorly matched. Not easy to get outside the box when your entire culture, home life, school and peer pressure has been hell bent on enforcing conformity and a oneness.

I think what I saw in that particular video was a certain blandness, if the Kiss, NYD, Marilyn Manson thing never happend it might look a bit more interesting.

K-toys might be an interesting twist but they seem to me not to have too many gender neutral statements to make so it would likely come off like bad K-pop, hard to imagine I know.

Fair enough - it may be a bridge too far for the majority of Thai bands. Probably doesnt hurt that the band in the clip is at the center of the whole Goth Lolita thing. No argument that Tim Burton is responsible for a lot of the original style cues, but it does look cute on some Japanese girls, even if it does seem a tad silly at times, at least to this old codger.

Gothic_lolita_takeshita_street.jpg

Archived