New Alcohol Serving "law"?

cavanami

Stop in Sunday at a local Sushi Restaurant, about 4 PM, only to be told that they could not

serve alcohol until 5 PM...WTF???

Before, the restaurants would always serve alcohol regardless if it was outside the "legal hours".

This is in Porto Chino, off Rama 2 in Samut Sakhon. Out of BKK.

What happened?

Nothing new, the 11-2, 5-11 alcohol sales rule has been in place for many places like this for years S&P, MK, Chesters Grill, Black Canyon, Sizzlers etc all have alcohol licences but same rules apply as 7-11, Family Mart etc.

If you want a beer with your dinner at 4PM either go to a Bar or to a local Mom Pop place

This just started last weekend. The week before, no problem.

There is a nice wine shop in the plaza there and they would "go to lunch" for a few hours and then open up around 3PM.

Even in BKK, it seemed to be a rule that the restaurants could serve alcohol whenever they wanted. :dunno:

No matter. Now the restaurants will be losing $$$.

Instead of a 80 Baht beer, I get a 10 Baht water...som nam nah...another brilliant Thai gov (or local police) move...

I guess it depends on many things. Out of central Bangkok you might find places serving during the dark hours of 2-5 pm. Certainly no problem buying booze in restaurants at Future Park this week nor at the small places on the university here. Your local places may be seeking a tea money reduction. Police doubtless enforce their own wishes but if the restaurant decides off its own bat not to serve alcohol it can hardly be charged for the privilege.

Correct RM

I am talking about Central Rama III, Central Silom, Central Chid Lom (Foodloft), Level 7 MBK Foodcourt etc basically downtown areas and AFAIK when the 2-5 blackout for sales came into effect in convenience stores it also applied to all food outlets, of course the ones in downtown malls are under the microscope more.

If memory serves me right about 18 months ago I was at sizzlers in Samut Praken on a sunday afternoon and had no problems getting a beer at 3-4 in the afternoon but I have not been there since so cannot say if the same situation still exists, yet I can still stroll down to local Mom & Pop shophouse place at 4PM and have a meal with a beer.

Whlst I was at work someone had a birthday so naturally on arrival in BKK a trip to Yaowarat was required. Whilst waiting for some adjustment work we were offered beer in the shophouse kao mun gai place a couple of doors away. No probs. That was around 3pm.

A year or 2 back in a large Japanese place in the big flash mall in Pattaya, no beer at 3pm.

I'd say any place with regularised receipts and especially if they are time stamped is best avoided if you need the sauce during the dark time.

Archived