Technology: Connects Or Disconnects People?

think_too_mut

I'm old enough to remember radio, if vaguely. I recall that my mother or grandmother could cook, clean the house, do the ironing or whatever and listen to the radio at the same time. The boob tube glued people to their seats and left them staring at the TV. Nowadays, they walk around like zombies staring at their iPhone or iPad.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jPW8xmI4w6U

Me thinks that technology is a two edged sword.

It can do incredibly great things and then it can destroy.

Bottom line, it is in how it is used.

Yep, just like the printing press. When it came out many swore it would spell the end of civilization as the horde would have their hands on sacred texts. Didn't quite pan out that way.

I do see TTM's point though, and it's humorous and sad to see large groups of folks sitting together oblivious of each other madly typing on their smartphones to update their (bullshit) facebook status and show where/how cool they are.

btw TTM, you're a smart guy - you attract more with honey than vinegar - ok? baa99 is clever and his one liners are funny, no need to insult the guy.

Huumlaar, you are a natural born contrarian no? :)

Me, I'm ok for anything as long as there is a scotch available and preferably a cute friend. Because if you're boring, then, ummm.... hey... what's your friend's name? Haven't I seen her before naaa? Sure, she can sit over here.

Me thinks that technology is a two edged sword.

It can do incredibly great things and then it can destroy.

Bottom line, it is in how it is used.

How can you use an airconditioner? In what other than 2 ways (cool or heat). I have a thrid, low mounted, it holds my beer.

Yet, that invention has not only raised productivity by 30% since mid-50s but also enabled the Republican pensioners to move to the Sun-belt states (Democrat strongholds), reshaped the politics and helped the outcome of subsequent elections and whatever the winner did to the US and to the World.

Archived