'miracle Doctor' Dies At 91

Flashermac

Sommai Thongprasert, renowned for his dedication to curing cancer, died on Friday at age 91.

The man known to the public as the "miracle doctor" succumbed to acute renal failure at Siriraj Hospital.

Born on December 27, 1921, Dr Sommai received degrees in pharmacy and medicine from Chulalongkorn University before he began working in a variety of medical fields. He then founded and administered Sing Buri Hospital.

After years of research, the doctor mixed eight herbs to concoct a medicine that could be used in cancer treatments. He later gave the formula to the Government Pharmaceutical Organisation.

Dr Sommai later started a cancer clinic in Sing Buri where he helped countless patients fight against the deadly disease. Even at age 89, he was still working 10-hour days serving the people who visited his clinic.

"I do believe in the balance of nature," Dr Sommai told an interviewer in 2011. "This is how the world creates herbs as the best cure for us."

He said a multinational drug company once offered him a hefty royalty fee for permission to use his regimen for research and development.

"I don't want Thai wisdom to fall into the hands of a foreign company," he said. "Otherwise Thai people may not be able to get access to herbal drugs in the long run."

His funeral will be held at Wat Sangkaracha in Sing Buri on Saturday and his royally sponsored cremation ceremony is to take place on Oct 19.

http://www.bangkokpost.com/breakingnews/374260/herbal-medicine-pioneer-dies-at-91

Not to hijack the thread but I noticed that the link for the story was to the Bangkok Post. The only reason that I go to Thaivisa is to look at the Chiang Mai forum but have noticed that the moderators claim that the Bangkok Post will not allow any quotes or links to its articles on Thaivisa and does remove them quickly. What did Thaivisa do to piss off the wrong person at the Bangkok Post?

I don't know how it started and I doubt if anyone at the Post monitors TV, but according to the moderators at TV, an agreement between TV and the Post has been reached where links and quotes will be taken off by the moderators at TV and all questions should be directed at the Post, not TV.

Not to hijack the thread but I noticed that the link for the story was to the Bangkok Post. The only reason that I go to Thaivisa is to look at the Chiang Mai forum

A surge in Chinese tourist arrivals to Chiang Mai has been greeted with a string of complaints about poor behaviour. But some leading operators are stressing the need for greater tolerance, pointing to the extra revenue these travellers bring.

http://www.bangkokpo...-in-translation

A surge in Chinese tourist arrivals to Chiang Mai has been greeted with a string of complaints about poor behaviour. But some leading operators are stressing the need for greater tolerance, pointing to the extra revenue these travellers bring.

Over the past few years I have had many conversations with Chinese participants of Thailand tours and all have said they would not go on another trip to Thailand. All have complained on being taken from city to city by bus without enough time rest between trips. They have all complained about the quality of the food provided to them. All have complained about the hotel accommodations.

This surge is made to look larger than it actually is by the churning of these busloads of Chinese visitors. The Chinese visitor patterns are nothing like farang tourists, one cannot even describe the tours as families since usually spouses visit Thailand separately. Why? because the tours are made up of employees of state companies. A husband will visit Thailand with his co-workers one month and the wife will visit with her co-workers at another time. And the kids? they stay home with the grandparents.

I know that some 3 and 4 star Thai hotels have a separate section for Chinese tour groups. It will be in an older section where the Chinese are more or less segregated from other guests. I used to see the tour groups being herded around somewhat like cattle by their guides. Didn't look like a lot of fun. :p

Archived