The Mysteries Of The Thai Internet ....

waerth

In 1999 when I just arrived here I could listen to my favourite radiostation from the netherlands over dial up ... no problems.

Now in 2013 I cannot listen to that station between approx 14.00 and 00.00.

Now here is what it weird.

I can download at full speed.

If I download and listen to the radio stream at the same time it actually works a lot better then only having the stream on.

Youtube works perfect at all time ........

It is really frustrating that all I want to do is legally listen to a 96 kbps stream and it doesnt work.

I am downloading illegally at 750 kbps and it works perfectly ......

W

I was thinking about that too.

But the radio station I am listening to is in the Netherlands, which hosts one of the biggest internet exchanges in the world.

Also the weird thing is that when I download stuff from bittorrent the radio connection gets better ..... while when I shutdown bittorrent the connection gets worse. Exactly the reverse of what I would expect to happen :(

I can explain why youtube is working better even though it uses more bandwith. Youtube = google = servers everywhere also in Singapore to my knowledge :p

But still there are many weird things with the connection.

Yes I understand that part :p ........ but I would expect Thailand to have a fairly straight connection to one of the biggest IIX s in the world :p But then again that might just be where the problem lies. Havent checked Thailands internet connection map in many years. I remember it having a direct connection to Sillypore :p

Back in the days of dialup I don't think traffic shaping was used much. Today traffic shaping can make a big difference to data rates of different types of data. That doesn't suggest why though when you run a parallel application the first one seems to get better.

• 3 weeks later...

i've had some similair odd things like that too.

More and more a VPN seems a good idea, and i do have one, well two, for occasional use at the moment.

You might like to try the free account from hideio - with the free account one of the available servers is in the netherlands, so would be ideal to try out, and the data cap is at 2gb which would be plenty of radio time.

Archived