What's The Chance That My Package From U.s. Makes It To Chiang Mai?

dean

I rarely send packages to LOS but had to 5 years ago to get decent underground sprinkler heads sent from U.S. Last month, I sent a package with several tools and a new set of sprinkler heads. I didn't put "used" down but I think that I put the declared value at zero. No duty was charged. I guess that clothing is a big red flag for Customs. I wasn't thinking of military boots as clothing. I did put down "gift" on the Customs slip but I guess that is not relevant. I don't plan on shipping anything else but will remember to treat clothes differently on the declaration. Assuming that the three $20's and 430 baht is there, the friend can take out the 1,450 out of it and still have 500-600 baht to hire her mechanically inclined nephew who lives next to me to install and adjust the 16 sprinkler heads. It shouldn't take more than a day.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm guessing (and I certainly could be way off) but they won't give out the package until the duty is paid so when you keep saying the duty can be paid with the money in the boot, that probably won't be the case. The picker upper will have to front the duty before the package will be released.

Your scenario would be possible, as the package is being held at the local Post Office, where my friend knows several of the workers and they would probably let her open the package and get the money before signing for it, I don't think that they would take U,S, currency, so being re-imbursed with the money in the boot is the easiest method, I did tell her twice to argue the point that these are military boots for her son but I doubt that she will do it. I do know that, if someone needs or wants something, it will have to wait until I travel to LOS, no exceptions made!

The friend can afford to front the 450 baht. Fortunately, the money was there, so there is around 800-900 baht, which should be enough to pay someone to unscrew the old 16 sprinklers and screw in the new ones. I even included directions, that my step daughter translated to Thai, that give detailed instructions on how to install and adjust the sprinkler heads. Originally, my friend's request was for the boot, a backpack and a pair of tennis shoes for her and her son. When I found out how much the boots cost and then checked on the backpack (made in Britain and costs on eBay around $240), the list became only the boots (he had requested a North face speciality backpack which I had brought over with me in July). The boots that I took over retail in the U.S. For $200, and I imagine that they are more expensive in Thailand. Even with the duty, the cost to me was $160 and compared to what Thai soldiers usually wear, worth every penny.

Can't recall whether it was US or Thai currency in the boot... Thais would not be happy about that, Thai money, severe insult with the king and all, that - probably even US currency would be looked poorly upon! Anyone daring to put money into a boot, no doubt the thinking would go, deserves to lose the money!

Thais that work in Customs don't need much of an excuse to take money. I had forgot about Thais disdain for feet and the special importance of having the King on bank notes. Maybe, I should have declared the money and just put it in an envelope inside the package. I have no doubt that it would have made it all the way into my friend's hands. I would be interested in how many are charged with denigrating Thai money and the number of convictions.

Archived