Thai language lessons

Hi Guys,

Can anyone tell me where I can get some good Thai tutition in Bangkok? I am sure there are lots of language places. However, I would like to learn at a good school.

It would be nice if it was cheap too. Low price and quality usually dont go together I know, but does anyone have any experience of a good school for a complete beginner??

What level could the average student expect to be at after say 2, and then 6 months study?

Many thanks,

Chico

Hard to say where you will be in 2-6 months, a lot depends on you and your teachers etc... AUA is a decent school for some, and for others it is not. A lot of schools run the same way. AUA asks that you not speak Thai for the first 400hours or some such, which is frustrating for some. My advice is scout them out yourself, and get a feel for it for yourself. If you are in BKK now, give me a PM, I might be able to get you a Rossetta Stone (w/o the book) at a real good price!

Try Somchart School on Soi 19 near Sukhumvit. They advertise frequently with small block ads in the Bangkok Post classifieds so you can get the address and the tele. number there. The manager's name is Chatima (maybe also owner?)and they have a small and friendly staff who speak English well. Lessons are 1:1 and costs were about 180 baht per hour about a year ago depending on how many hours you signed up. Check around the web and you will find reviews on other schools as well but Somchart seems to always rank high.

After a few months, you should be able to handle the everyday stuff (ie taxis, hotels, restaurants, etc). Hardest part is hearing the tones in the words and the pitches often vary so you have to "tune" into each speaker, or at least I do. Chok Dee Krab.

There are several earlier threads on thai language schools.

Read http://board.nanaplaza.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=UBB8&Number=35375&page=&view=&sb=&o=&vc=1

and

http://board.nanaplaza.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=UBB8&Number=35750&page=&view=&sb=&o=&vc=1

I went to Somchart school on Sukhumvit Soi 19 in January

and February. They cater for all levels from complete

beginners to advanced. Delightful teachers.

"I went to Somchart school on Sukhumvit Soi 19 in January

and February. They cater for all levels from complete

beginners to advanced. Delightful teachers."

They're very nosey about night-time activities though! I always behaved like a perfect gentleman there, never used any bar-girl Thai and yet they would still persist..

I agree Somchart is a great little school. The girls are delightful and are really committed to getting you to speak Thai. I agree with the point made about the girls being nosey about night time activities. They were always asking me if I went to Nana Plaza. I of course was always very non committal.

But a great school and Chutima, the Manager is very helpful also. Very inexpensive as well

J

Archived