Suthep To Seek Royal Approval For His 'people Coup'

limbo

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Let's get the office pool started....I say, only the faces will change, nothing else. There will be a big show of how things will

improve and then nothing, business as usual...the corruption will increase, as "they" will have to make up for the months of

"lost tea money"!

PDRC says declaration of sovereignty is not power seizure

The legal advisor of the People’s Democratic Reform Committee (PDRC) says the declaration of sovereignty by PDRC leader Suthep Thaugsuban Saturday night is not a power seizure, but merely an alternative to resort to in case the caretaker government rejects the verdict of the Constitutional Court.

Thavorn Senniem, a former Democrat Party MP for Songkhla and now a PDRC core member and legal advisor, reiterated Monday that Suthep’s declaration of sovereignty by proposing the name of a new prime minister for royal endorsement after the formation of the people’s council is not to seize power, as the ruling Pheu Thai party accuses.

Instead, it is only a process to resolve the political impasse if the caretaker prime minister and her government reject the ruling of the independent organizations under the Constitution, which include the Constitutional Court and the National Anti-Corruption Commission.

He said the PDRC was not worried about the situation, which could lead to confrontation and clash with the rival red-shirt United Front for Democracy against Dictatorship supporters of the government on the day the verdict is handed down by the independent organization, as the security authorities have duties to take care of.

He also said what the PDRC did is not meant to create a condition for the military to use as an excuse to stage a coup.

Suthep’s declaration of sovereignty at the protest state at Lumpini Saturday night has enraged the ruling Pheu Thai party, with several core members accusing Suthep of attempting to seize power from the democratic government of Ms Yingluck.

Pheu Thai party spokesman Promprong Nopparit said the party would lodge a complaint with the Crime Suppression Division to take legal action against Suthep, while the Center for Maintaining Peace and Order is also contemplating bringing more charge against Suthep.

Suthep said the name a prime minister should be forwarded to the King for royal endorsement, once the ruling is reached by the Court, reasoning that Ms Yingluck will not accept the ruling and will stubbornly stay on in office. He then would have no choice but to declare sovereignty and mandate all heads of government departments to report to the PDRC. :hmmm:

http://englishnews.t...-power-seizure/

Tell the PDRC's legal advisor that calling a tail a leg does not make it one.

Suthep's proclamation a couple of days ago makes it crystal clear that his goal is to be named Absolute Dictator For Life, with absolute unquestioned power to do ANYTHING. Yes, of course he will step down and allow free elections as soon as the reforms are complete. Sure he will. Just like Fidel Castro did.

Even Takky didn't demand that kind of power.

Amazing how people hear things that I don't hear, even though I listen to Suthep actually say them. :hmmm:

But he is looking a bit loony. Maybe it's those long walks in the boiling sun. No need to worry about him becoming Than Phu Nam like Takky though. For one thing, the military would never allow it.

Maybe you should read the stories you post here, Flash. This is cut-and-pasted from the news story that started this thread.

"We will have something like Article 17 [of 1959 Administrative Charter] as the highest law," Mr. Suthep said, referring to the charter article which allowed Field Marshal Sarit to fight suspected Communist threats by all means, " will be able to order anyone to be executed by firing squad, but I will only freeze assets".

He continued, "As a Sovereign Body who has seized power, I will have the power to appoint Prime Minister and Cabinet members at my own discretion. Then I will present this list to His Majesty the King, so that he can approve them as the People's Government."

Admittedly, I'm at a disadvantage, having been around for a few years, being an unreconstructed Cold Warrior who remembers what certain rhetoric sounds like, and having read quite widely (although perhaps not as deeply as I should). Certain linguistic constructs that go right past the younger generation ring loud alarm bells for me, because I remember where I've heard them before, and from whom.

Archived