A Watch Or Not

On a recent flight my boyfriend lost his watch, whilst going through immigration, left it in the tray and by the time he looked again it was gone. Ok stupid, so after two days of looking at his blank wrist, and driving me crazy asking the time constantly I suggested he buy a new one.

He pointed out he wanted to get at least the same quality that he originally had. After looking at many watches, he decided on a replacement he wanted. Although I have a watch myself I rarely wear and look at my mobile if I want to know the time.

I was wondering how many men here wear a watch all the time or not, and if it's a copy or something better.

I feel naked without a watch and though I don't wear fancy multi mega buck things I want it to be reliable and long lasting, I own 4 and regularly wear one of 2.

Following on from this leads me to a question. I was told a long time ago not to give a watch as a gift. Chinese based superstition suggests it indicates or leads to the end of a friendship and that Thai people observe this custom. I've heard it from 3 Non Chinese Thai girls over maybe 15 years. Anyone else heard the same?

I once wrote about Thai superstitions for the Bangkok Post, and I never heard that one. (I got my information from Thai university students. The upcountry folks knew many superstitions. The Bangkok kids didn't know much about anything except TV and pop singers.)

You should have worn the watch instead of carrying it. That's what the strap is for!

Not with a pocket watch. I stopped wearing watches in RVN, when the straps broke in the heat and humidity. Carried a watch in my pocket after that, a cheap Timex in RVN, then an Illinois Bunn Special.

post-98-0-99675300-1399047913_thumb.jpg