Quake In The North

bust

Just minutes ago

BANGKOK — A strong earthquake shook northern Thailand and Myanmar on Monday evening, and some light damage was reported.

People were evacuated from the main airport in Chiang Rai, a northern Thai city near the epicenter, and cracks were reported in building exteriors and on roads. No casualties were immediately reported.

Severe shaking was felt in Myanmar's largest city, Yangon, and in Chiang Mai, Thailand's second-largest. Window curtains briefly swayed in the Thai capital, Bangkok.

The U.S. Geological Survey said the earthquake measured a preliminary magnitude of 6.0 and was centered 9 kilometers (6 miles) south of Mae Lao, Thailand, and 27 kilometers (17 miles) southwest of Chiang Rai.

It was centered at a relatively shallow depth of 7.4 kilometers (4.6 miles). Shallow quakes are generally felt more widely.

http://www.startribune.com/world/257921291.html

As usual, I didn't feel a thing here in my two-storey house, but people are posting on Facebook about their condos doing the hula. That's just one of the reasons I won't live a high rise. I've been through I don't know how many earthquakes here, but only one time was it was strong enough for me to feel my house moving. Growing up in California, on the other hand, our houses shook every time. I remember watching the chandelier sway back in forth in my room in one of the biggest ones.

There do seem to be a lot of quakes going on around the world these days. Global shaking to go with global warming? :hmmm:

Strong quake hits north of Thailand

post-98-0-42055400-1399299375_thumb.jpg

A strong, shallow 6.1-magnitude earthquake shook northern Thailand this afternoon, geologists said, shaking tall buildings in Bangkok hundreds of miles to the south.

The quake, at a shallow depth of 7.4 kilometers (4.5 miles), struck just after 6 pm local time (1100 GMT), around 27 kilometers (17 miles) from the mountainous northern city of Chiang Rai, the US Geological Survey said in a statement.

There were no immediate reports of damage.

The area is a remote mountain retreat popular with foreign tourists near to the border with Myanmar and Laos.

The quake was felt as far south as Bangkok, 800 kilometers (500 miles) to the south, where tall buildings shook for several seconds.

It was also felt in the Myanmar capital of Yangon, an AFP reporter there said.

Major earthquakes are rare in Thailand, although tremors frequently strike the northern portion of the country.

http://www.nationmul...d-30232936.html

Wat Rong Khun is beyond repair

post-98-0-55725800-1399369317_thumb.jpg

National artist and constructor of Wat Rong Khun or the White Temple Chalermchai Kositpipat said Tuesday that the temple is now beyond repair and may be left as a monument for the world to remember its past glory.

Ajarn Chalermchai expressed his deep regret for the damage caused by what he called “the nature†after the temple was again struck by two aftershocks following the major 6.3 magnitude quake at 6.08 p.m. Monday night.

He said at first he thought the temple could be repaired back to normal but the two aftershocks brought down his hope as it now was beyond his capability to bring it back to normal.

He said the mural paintings which took him almost his lifetime to create on the wall and ceiling were gone with the collapse of the wall and ceiling.

“It was the masterpiece of the art work that was created and could not be created again as I had devoted to creating it in almost 20 years.â€

He said the temple could be rebuilt but it would not be the same as the art work he devoted his life to create could never be made.

He said he was now too old to spend another 20 years to create it.

“Everything is finished and I may leave the temple, a world’s masterpiece, to remain as it is now for the latter generation to remember.â€

He said he did not want any government organisation to lend a helping to reconstruct it because he is the sort of a peron who never depends on other’s hands.

He said he did not want any assistance as he did not want interference, or listen to ordesr if he accepted the assistance.

He said he would like to leave the temple as a monument for visitors to remember its glorious past as now it was beyond repair.

http://englishnews.t...-beyond-repair/

Archived