Isis Jihadists Order Genital Mutilation Of All Women In Iraq

Flashermac

A fatwa is not a religious "edict", the way Western tradition thinks of it. Rather, it is specifically the answer to a question about what Islam requires in a particular situation. The first rule of fatwa is that anyone may ask anyone for fatwa, that is, guidance. The second rule is that, if you ask someone for guidance, because you are uncertain, you are expected to follow their guidance, regardless of whether you agree with it. (If you knew what was required, you wouldn't have asked the question in the first place.) This means that Muslims are advised to be VERY careful who they ask for fatwa. Many places put fairly strong restrictions on whose answers must be considered "informed" (i.e., this guy actually knows what he's talking about), and thus binding.

I would like to hear more about who supposedly issued the "fatwa" at the heart of all this. Is this some nut case, or is this actually someone who is well-educated, at recognized schools, who is respected by the "Senior Scholars"? I.e, is female genital mutilation actually mainstream Islamic practice?

Because if it is, we have a problem.

I don't see what the flap is all about. Is there some sort of commission or panel that checks to see which ones have already been mutilated and which ones are unmutilated?

Think how relieved all those 47 year old ladies are.

Sick to make a joke about such a heinous crime against children.